Bosch WFK2801 washing machine - outlet blocked (error 3)

Hi, I have a ~8 year old Bosch front-loading washing machine, model WFK2801. It's been working fine until this weekend when I (stupidly) put 3 small squares (perhaps 30x30 cm) or carpet in.

During the low temp (30 C) wash lots of fluff/fibre came out of the carpet. After completing the cycle I picked up the pieces of yarn inside. I also cleaned the small amount out of the drain filter.

Today the wash stopped with error 3 - blocked outlet. I restarted manually, and it drained, just a bit slowly. I did a 90 C wash with some soda crystals (done many times before) to soften up any gunk/ limescale, and after this I again checked the filter, and also took the opportunity to clean out the "trap" between the pump and rear of machine - A piece that is often limescaled up.

It wasn;t too bad. The drain hose looked ok at the sink end, and no blockage in the sink. I did not however remove/clean..

Just done another wash and the machine is really struggling to drain - basically it won't! - I;m pretty sure the pump is operating - it starts emptying slowly (higher pressure in drum?) and then slows to a crawl - Some water comes out of the front/emergenvy drain hose connected to pump, but not a huge amount - When the pump operates water stops coming out of the short/front emergency hose - When the machine is powered off a glassful or so rapidly comes out this same hose then slows to a trickle - If the screw-cap over the pump/filter is removed water comes out slower than expected?

Tomorrow I plan to (obviously) remove/clean the hose from machine rear to drain. I think I also need to check the one between the "trap" and the pump - hope it's not too hard, not done that one before

What else could it be/should I check? How easy is it to get to the pump to clean? Should I detach the pipe from the drum? Is it hard to get to/reattach?

Many thanks for the advice.

Nigel. (feeling a bit stupid right now......)

Reply to
planetf1

Nigel

If its anything like my Bosch machine there is a plastic S bend clipped to the rear of the machine near the top which the main outlet hose is connected to.

Mine has blocked a couple of times. I would bet this is where your blockage is.

Just remove the top and it should be quite obvious if you have one.

Other than that remove the bottom hose at the drum as there is a plastic ball here which acts as some sort of valve. The pump is also fairly easy to remove from the bottom.

Paul

Reply to
paul_edwards

The hose between the tank and pump will be blocked with the fibre bits, remove the hose at the pump end and pull out the bits and then try it again, you might have to do this a couple of times to clear any residue still in the tank.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Thanks - I'll try to check all the hoses that connect to the pump tonight.

Thus far I've only - removed rear panel for access to trap, motor etc - cleaned filter using regular screw-cap on low front panel.

I can feel the pipes underneath the machine, but what's the best way to access the pump? Is the front panel readily removable? Do I need to tip machine on side to access pump?

Just checking before my work-session tonight!

Thanks Nigel.

Reply to
planetf1

Thanks - I'll try to check all the hoses that connect to the pump tonight.

Thus far I've only - removed rear panel for access to trap, motor etc - cleaned filter using regular screw-cap on low front panel.

I can feel the pipes underneath the machine, but what's the best way to access the pump? Is the front panel readily removable? Do I need to tip machine on side to access pump?

Just checking before my work-session tonight!

I found the best way in general to work on a pump (depending on the machine) was to pull the machine forward after switching off the power, then lean the machine back at about 45 degrees so the top is resting on something solid, and most of the weight is pressing backwards, then crawl underneath. The machines should not really be placed on their sides, and definitely not turned upside down. Doing it this way also allows a bowl to be placed underneath to catch any water as the pipe is removed.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Indeed it was. Actually it was almost totally blocked with limescale. Also retrieved a 5p coin and some fluff. More fluff was further upstream although I expect that would have washed down to the filter if it hadn't been for the scale.

Mostly cleaned now.

I thought long and hard about the 2 options * front panel (requiring door seal to be removed) * underneath - requriring heavy lifting/balancing

I went for access via front panel: * remove outer door seal (carefully lever up the thin metal wire

+spring on the outside of the seal -- easy to miss) * Unscrew door lock (2 star screws) * remove 2 screws at base of panel (one was corroded -- needed some penetrating oil. grr) * remove lid & central screw behind detergent draw which holds front panel at centre top

With this done access to the pump was trivial

Cleaned, and mostly reassembled apart from the outer door seal to attach which needs a second pair of hands - and will prob be somewhat tricky.. think bicycle tyre. And of course testing .....

Other than 2 pairs of hands and soap, any recommendations for remounting the outer seal? The clip is actually just a solid wire (think coat hanger) attached with a very tight spring. It seems the best bet is to slide on with clip mounted, starting at the spring side, but it still seems very tricky.

I knew this would be a problem area but overall the job was so much easier working with the machine totally upright, especially in a somewhat confined space (utility room)

Reply to
planetf1

[...]

A lot of machines do not have a removable front panel, so that is sometimes not an option. The wire around the front of the seal can be tricky, you do start at the spring and work round, but you have to get the wire as far into the rubber groove as possible by opening up the groove as you work round, this helps to reduce the amount of stretch at the end, and also reduces the tendency of the wire to come out of the groove. Now that you have had a break. you will probably find the wire much easier to attach, but if all else fails, an extra thumb at the start of the wire, near the spring, should have it on in seconds.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Would you recommend a) Trying to push the seal on with wire already in groove b) getting the seal in place, then trying to place the wire over the seal (into the groove starting from spring)

Going to have a shot tonight...

Thanks

Reply to
planetf1

Would you recommend a) Trying to push the seal on with wire already in groove b) getting the seal in place, then trying to place the wire over the seal (into the groove starting from spring)

Going to have a shot tonight...

Never tried fitting a seal with the wire in place, it might work, so worth a try, if not, proceed to b)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Just to complete the thread -- all sorted. The key was an extra pair of hands. Then replaced seal and finally stretched the spring band over it. Took a few attempts, but all done in ~5 minutes

Reply to
planetf1