Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

gloworm boiler
Old gloworm swiftflo. Turned the central heating on. Pressure went up to 3bar. When the heating went off it dropped back to 0.3 bar (should be 0.7). Refilled to 0.7 bar and turned on the heating. Back...
4
4

Painting new render
I have just had the outside of my new kitchen extension sand/cement waterproof rendered. I now want to paint it with exterior emulsion. What is the process for painting new render. Thanks
3
3

Roofing Felt
Hi All, The roofing felt on my 60's built house is falling apart. Roof is conventional concrete tile. I am told that the tiles have to come off to replace the felt. Cost is in the thousands,...
5
5

Engineered wood Floor
I live in an old Victorian property. The floor is pine boards. I want to lay an engineered wood floor but there is a dip of about 5-10mm at the foot of the stairs. I have been told that if I don't...

Blocked drain upstairs
Discussing drains today with a friend and he told me that in a very heavy rainstorm a few years ago that rainwater started filling his bath because of a blockage his bathroom is upstairs and it...
2
2

shower head - oxygenationg/air driven
Does anyone on here have experience of Raindance AIR overhead showers, Oxygenics - BodySpa Showerhead or similar ? The idea is to introduce air to the water before is comes out of the showerhead...

Challenge (Argos own brand) brushes for angle grinder
Bought Argos Challenge angle grinder (cat no. 711/0591, 9" Angle Grinder (NOT "Extreme"). After two short bursts of light use, installed brushed gave up. Replaced with spare set included, also gave up...
6
6

Stair Nosings (Rubber)
OK, I know they exist ('cos I've had estimates). But I can't find a supplier. I believe Roppe are the chaps (also been told Ferodo do them). It's a small job, just my stairs from the...
2
2

Combi Boiler Possible Problem/s
Ok for the last month or so my boilers been playing up. It's just recently been serviced. It was set to hot water only for the summer months and about 2 weeks ago I switched it over to the hot...

Magnetic Contact Detectors
Hi All, Just installing an alarm system and my doors open the opposite way to the instructions which means that the detector that goes on the frame needs to be fitted upside down. Is that ok? Not sure...
4
4

3 Sided Bay Window - Pic attached to help explain!!
Hi, I've decided to get someone in to replace the existing aluminium bay windows. I thought I'd just give the render a lick of pain to freshen it up before the new windows go in. When I...

Chrome plated pipe and compression fittings
Hi All, I tackle a bit of plumbing occasionally and normally use solder fittings, but recently had to do some work which required chrome pipe and chrome compression fittings for an electric shower....
11
11

gas ignition problems
I have a faily new range gas cooker Might as well tell how it went wrong first ..... I put a potato in the oven but when I went to gt it out it rolled backwards into the flames at the back. No...
2
2

toilet seats
I have bought about 3 mahogany wood toilet seats from the likes of wilkinson, argos and asda. They last about a year or so then fall to pieces. I only pay about 7 to 10 pounds for them, but I am...
4
4

floorboarding the loft
right, i have decided to use chipboard for the loft, but the measurements have come out weird regarding the size of each board, for e.g. about 5 joist beams have come to a length of approximately...
7
7