Wooden Driveway Gate

I am considering a dual swing driveway gate. Each panel would be 6ft tall and 5ft wide. The gates look like your standard 6ft privacy fence and I would like them to be on a remote control opener. The two questions that jump out at me are 1. Will 6x6 pressure treated lumber be adequate? 2. Due to the layout of my property one of the post will butt up to the corner of the house. Is it acceptible to use lag bolts to connect the post to house for extra support in addition to having the post set in 3ft of concrete?
Thanks -T
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

While I can't answer your construction questions, *do* remember to consider the gate openers when thinking about a design.
--
Notan

Notan wrote:

Ooops! I forgot to include http://www.gtoinc.com .
--
Notan

For the long run, and in all probability, no. IMHO A friend of mine went with 12' railroad ties buried in concrete for his gate posts on a similar install. His gate was 6' high & 8' wide of redwood/cedar with screw jack type openers. He buried 5' & left 7' up. The extra 1' above had a 1/4" stainless steel cable with a 6" aluminum turnbuckle for slack adjustment to level the gates. The cable attached to an eye bolt at the uppermost part of the post & towards the end of the gate @ the center of the opening. Obviously his gates are bigger & heavier then what you're describing. However, the implication is it's better to safe then sorry. The gates/posts are still holding up after 12 years.

possible and get posts of sufficient size/strength/depth to stand alone. But that's just my personal preference.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

There are steel gate kits available that accept the wooden fence slats of your choice. They are very reasonable and work well:
http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/ag.htm
--
Dennis

josm64 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/construction/Wooden-Driveway-Gate-7740-.htm :
Hello,
Did you manage to install the gate? I am facing similar situation. Same dimensions as yours.
Thanks J
------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14649 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##