wood ceiling

is it ok to use a 3/4 inch tongue and grooved pine 1x8 on my ceiling instead of sheetrock? it is in california and is single story
Hi Pedro,

Here in Washington state I was able to install 1x6 T&G pine on our ceilings. The inspector said sheetrock wasn't needed for a single story residence since there is no living space above. The T&G pine still serves as a fireblock to slow the spread of fire into the attic space. The inspector was more concerned about sealing up openings where wires or pipes pass through the framing.
Of course, the rules in your area could be different, so I recommend checking with your local building department.
On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 11:44:03 AM UTC-8, pedro wrote:

NO, NO and NO
The ceiling must be air tight

Sheetrock does not stop the flow of moisture. Air flow can be controlled by installing a barrier on the ceiling before installing the T&G boards.
Fiberglass batt insulation usually already has a vapor barrier. If installed correctly, you will get very little air leakage through the T&G ceiling anyway.
On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 11:44:03 AM UTC-8, pedro wrote:

Code officials will not be paying your utility bills. I would recommend do ing Whole House Performance on your home. There is a balance on everything . Too loose and bills will be higher, indoor air quality will be worse, po ssible moisture issues in the attic(yes even in California), comfort issue s . Too tight and mechanical ventilation will need to be added (yes this i s better than letting the house leak)