Wok fumes

I recently posted this problem, I have had little success with the local administrative codes, I have also been told that it will cost 25 thousand dollars to sue this person for nusiance. Can someone with engineering or contruction experience tell me if installing my own roof vent over the attached overhang/soffiting where his vent is located help in drawing the fumes away from the building?

Here is the original post for your enjoyment:

I am having a problem with my neighbor. He recently installed a vent over his cooktop for the porpuse of venting his wok fumes to the rear of his house. We live in attached home row-style townhomes. I recently notices these fumes eminating from my internal heat/ac duct work. We have forced air. He did all of the work himself in the middle of the night. We appoaced him on the issue but he simply said the fumes were coming from my kitchen. I closed off some of the duct lines to try and isolate the problem and now there are no fumes in the ducts but we are still getting inundated with the odor. They ofen cook late like

9:00-10:00PM and its very disturbing. We get the fumes in our bedroom also. Can anyone help me find some solution or some recourse. There was

a case a while back on this board about a lady who got a court order to

make his naighbor cook only certain hours and eventully got a win and the courts made them move the ven to the roof. Do you think this is possible in NYS?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
mcinbrass

I'm thinking there should be a firewall (often masonry) between you and the neighboring unit that goes on up through the attic and roof. If there was a firewall, you wouldn't be getting their vented air. If code requires firewalls, and none are there, you have the property association by the short hairs.

Reply to
bill allemann

Call your local code enforcement official. There is a code issue concerning vents and exhaust fans, especially side wall ventilators. As I recall, they must discharge a minimum of 10 feet away from the intake air portion of HVAC equipment, all windows, and openings. It is heavily enforced on commercial buildings - think about the "fart fan" for large toilet rooms exhausting into the intake air of a roof top HVAC machine. I don't know your exact situation, but it sounds like it may address your problem. It is part of the mechanical code. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG