Off Topic: Cost to drag one pound across country

I have a 2001 V6 Toyota Tacoma with a trailer that weighs about 2000 pounds. Is there any way to know what each additional pound of weight in the trailer will cost me in gas. I will be travelling about 3000 miles across the country.

For instance... I have a 300 pound weight set. I can buy another one across the country for about $150. Is it worth it to ship the 300 pound weight set across the country?

Thanks....

Reply to
hanson

Its cheaper to haul the weight set if you still have the capacity. Load up everything you can as long as you can do so safely.

OTOH, it's time to get rid you all that junk you have.

hans> I have a 2001 V6 Toyota Tacoma with a trailer that weighs about 2000

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Just to give you an idea, I drive a semi. Empty, I will average around 8 mpg. Fully loaded, I will average anywhere from 5 to 7 mpg depending on what hills and mountains I have to climb. Considering your 300 pounds in a car, that would be equivelant to transporting 1 or 2 more people. You might lose 1 gallon a mile for the extra weight, but that shouldn't be a problem. If you average 20mpg, that should be 150 gallons of fuel. $450. Minus the gallon a mile loss, might increase that cost to $480. So I'd say it's cheaper to take it with you.

Reply to
richard

One other factor to consider is wind resistance. For example, you get much better gas mileage in a pickup with the tailgate up than down (or than with one of those 'net' tailgates). Covering the trailer with a tarp could give better mileage than without, and could justify carrying extra weight.

Reply to
Plan Review Section