Mowing 20 acre pasture

I recently purchase 20 acres of pasture which has been used as a pasture for 80 years. With the horses gone now I am wondering what the best way to maintain this land would be considering it will be used as a weekend retreat. I sometimes will only be able to get out there once a month or so. My question is Should I mow it? or is there a better approach? If mowing is the best option what type or size tractor/mower would you recommend? Obviously I'm new to this. Thanks, Jack
I would lease it for grazing cattle if there's anyone around. If not, your weekend retreat will be 16 hours of mowing.
Bill

bill allemann wrote:
--top posting repaired...

Possible, but how practical might be a question depending on where it is and type/quantity/quality of pasture.
Guess those are the things I'd ask before real answer, but if an area that has adequate rainfall and there is sufficient water and don't mind the livestock around, would obviously be an alternative to consider. (Of course, a few goats are much better as lawnmowers than cattle, but depending again on location may or may not be many around. :) )
For 20 A if you're in an area w/ adequate rainfall you're talking of needing something that would be at least 5-6 ft. Again, depending on where you are, relatively inexpensive older small equipment (20-30 hp stuff like old Farmall Cubs, Ford 8/8N, etc.) should be around. Of course, you could go and spend anywhere from $15-30k + on a brand new JD or Kubota rig and be the consumate "gentleman farmer", too... :)
In reality, if you're going to be around most weekends, a couple hours w/ something of that size on a regular schedule would probably be sufficient--you wouldn't have to keep it all mowed every time.
bill allemann wrote:
[...]

In reality, if you're going to be around most weekends, a few hours each weekend w/ something of that size on regularly would probably be sufficient--you wouldn't have to keep it all mowed every time. Anything much smaller would end up w/ never being caught up, though, probably, as somebody else suggested.
are you going to put a cabin or camper or something on it? it's all a matter of preference. I'd mow an acre or 2 & let the rest grow. maybe dig a pond, plant some trees... ahhhhh relaxation!
In a previous post longshot wrote...

I agree. I'm on 9 acres. We mow at most 3 acres. The rest is trees and wildflowers.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

,,,
Again, depends greatly on the area...here, wouldn't be a tree unless you planted it and watered at least to get it well established--far more work than simply mowing would be... :)
I suggest you put the question in *alt.fan.tractors* for some better suggestions.

You'll want to mow it at least once a year to prevent the scrub cedars and other undesirable trees from getting too big. A mower at least 6' wide with a properly powered tractor to run it will be required to do it in a timely manner. You could of course use smaller equipment, but it'll just take longer. Depending on how rough the land is, you may also tear up smaller equipment faster.
--
Steve Barker

"bodega" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
How about burning it once a year? It'll keep the brush down and result in thick lush grass. I once had a weekend retreat that had a few acres that needed to be mowed. Got tired of breaking out the lawn mower and mowing knee high grass everytime I went there to "relax".

Step one - talk to your neighbors. When I moved out to the country I found an old timer 1/2 mile away who will come down with his tractor and whatever implement is needed and do whatever I need done for $15 per hour. I'd be out of my mind to buy a tractor instead of using him.
I'd mow it at least four times a year.
Steve.
SteveF wrote:

Oh, sure, be practical about it! I'm thinking OP's just looking for the excuse to get a new Deere and have is own Green Acres.... :)

See if you can lease it out for hay. My hay man did all the fertilizing, spraying for weeds, seeding, etc. I got .25 per bale. Little did he know I would have paid HIM to do all that! Hay prices are high in most places right now and local hay farmers are usually on the lookout for a big clear acreage to lease. Downside is that you will have "tall" grass until the hay is cut. And you might want to skip weekends during fertilizing time if they use chicken litter like they do around here! Phew! Fran
Fran Bragg wrote:

That's why I do. I lease 24 of my 88 acres and get about enough to pay the taxes on the land. No financial gain, but I don't have to mow anything!
Matt

Lessee, 4 bales per acre on a decent cut X 20 acres is about $20.
Oh, wait; would those be square bales?
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Yes, small 50lb squares. Certainly not enough to retire to the Caymans, but to me it was like someone knocking on my door and saying, "Hey! Can I pay you to fertilize, weed, and mow your property?" Sounds like a deal to me!! Fran