Ping Bob Morrison

Bob, do me a favor and take a look at this product.

Read the FAQ and note what they mention about the loads. Note the legal-babble at the bottom of the pages.

What's your take on it? Am I right to be bothered that they are offering this for sale?

RicodJour

What about this? What happens to the R-value of the insulation if it is between the ceiling and the Infinite Attic system? Also, what if the blown in insulation is compressed by the plywood? The R-value in either case is not negatively affected.

Reply to
Mike

Yes, the R-value is negatively affected. All insulation relies on the dead air space contained in the insulation to obtain its "R-" rating. The "R-" value is the inverse of the heat transfer rate. Reduce the dead air space by compressing the insulation and the rate of heat transfer through the insulation will increase. Thus, the "R-" value will decrease and the insulation will perform less effectively.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

How about we take a 12" fiberglass bat and compress it into a plate of glass. Which would you rather have for insulation?

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I am not an engineer, but I work closely with one. Whenever we have any work in an attic, especially one with trusses, he has a strict rule about decking. We are only allowed to install decking which is required by code and nothing else. He will not sign off on the engineering if we put anything else up there.

According to him, trusses are designed to support what they are going to support and no more. He says that any decking installed in attics with trusses will encourage the homeowner to use that space for storage. Since the trusses (unless they are designed as attic storage trusses) are not meant for storage, period. My experience with trusses tells me the same thing.

As far as the insulation goes, if there is insulation there and it gets compressed, it is not going to function as well. They do mention the garage area of the attic on the website, and it is normally not insulated, but their claim that the insulation in other areas will not be compromised is bull.

Reply to
Robert Allison