Pecans in a pasture ?

I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a horse pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the trees. Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

Assuming you normally remove the shell before you eat the pecan, I don't see what the problem would be. Gather up the pecans, discard those that have been damaged (the errant horse hoof?), wash off the remaining and prepare as usual for consumption. Those hard shells are there for a purpose - the nutmeats should be fine.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

In article , grdngal48 @comcast.net says... :) wash off the remaining and prepare as :) usual for consumption. Those hard shells are there for a purpose - the :) nutmeats should be fine. :) The only other question would be being in a pasture, if the tree is native, are the pecans worth the effort to begin with.

Reply to
Lar

do a quick rinse in bleach if that is a comfort. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I just threw away my entire carrot crop. why? I had forgotten that I had manured the garden. I also let the lettuce bolt, so it gets tall. I then eat only the top leaves, which are far above the ground. Hope this helps.

Reply to
simy1

You -do- plan to shell them, right?

Anyway, in baked goods no one will notice that extra tang.

Just kidding.

Wash them off, shell them and eat them.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

My grandfather was a farmer and put a crop in every year until he died at

  1. He always used manure on his food crops as did all the farmers in our area.

No one that I'm aware of had any health problems from eating any the vegetables.

Shepherd

Reply to
Shepherd

The idea of eating pecans that have fallen

You'd better not ask where eggs come out :-)

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

I am 74 years old and have been eating pecans that came from trees that are in a cow pasture and a hog pasture all my life. Still do!! I don't eat the shells and don't gather nuts with fresh manure attached. ;-)

Tom J who loves anything with pecans

Reply to
Tom J

and my answer to that is a resounding hell yes!!! Just because Gloria lives in Alabama don't mean the pecans are unedible. There is a hard outer shell, like Pam says, it's green, that protects the inner pecan.... Gloria. It'll stain yer hands like black walnuts outer hulls do but in the long run, you'll have a butt load of free pecans!! (I can taste the banana nut bread now....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) Even better, buy a cheap box of yaller cake mix and over beat it with an extra egg and use buttermilk instead of water or milk, and add two cups of chopped pecans to the batter and put into a loaf pan. LORD woman!!! heaven in a loaf! madgardener who has a pecan tree in town where she lives were it not that this year was the light nut year for the tree would be down there harvesting the nuts off the tree from the bed of the truck!

Reply to
madgardener

madgardener wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

hi Mad,

Your long-time friends in the group are probably too polite to say anything, but you don't really mean that, do you? Not in this particular thread, anyway?

;-)

Reply to
Salty Thumb

In article , snipped-for-privacy@vic.com says... :) and my answer to that is a resounding hell yes!!! Just because Gloria :) lives in Alabama don't mean the pecans are unedible. There is a hard :) outer shell, like Pam says, it's green, that protects the inner :) :) Only brought it up because I see quite often where peeps get a chance at the mother load of nuts only to be disappointed after a few hours realizing the work they have in store leaving sacs of uncracked nuts left in the garage for the meal moths and rodents.

Reply to
Lar

The native (seedling) pecan is the very best there is. They are small so it takes a lot more cracking and picking to get the meat out, but they are more oily and full flavored. These are the nuts in the very best candies.

Tom J who has about 50# of shelled seedling pecans in the freezer

Reply to
Tom J

In article , tomj snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com says... :) The native (seedling) pecan is the very best there is. They are small so it :) takes a lot more cracking and picking to get the meat out, but they are more :) oily and full flavored. These are the nuts in the very best candies. :) :) Oh no question they can be, especially in a wet year, nice and surprisingly plump... just throwing that out there because sometimes expectations just aren't met. All this pecan (pu-con) :) talk has me hoping this drop in temperature will trigger the area trees into start dropping their bounty.

Reply to
Lar

The pecans are big, the meat is plump, very much worth the effort. I don't know if they are native but I don't think so. I grew up in the middle of a nine acre non-native pecan orchard. Trust me, there won't be enough pecans left over for the varmints. In fact they'll be stored inside the house where they'll be safe from varmints. I love to just crack 'em and eat 'em, oh and put them in fudge and brownies, and make pecan pies, and buttered parched pecans. And they're good in tuna or chicken salad, or sprinkled over a tossed green salad. OK, I'm going pecan picking tomorrow and I'll wash them off real good and let them dry and make sure I don't gather any from the freshest piles. Thank you all for your input.

Gloria

Reply to
Gloria

I sympathized with your dilemma, and then realized that nuts fall where there is poop of all sorts -- mostly squirrel around here. If it's *noticable*, you might want to brush and then rinse, but I've been picking up nuts from the ground and shelling and using with no ill effects for years.

Reply to
Frogleg

lord I didn't realize what I had said until I read it..............LOL no, I didn't mean it THAT way! maddie

Reply to
madgardener