Pasture planting anyone?

Does anyone in here know anything about planting/maintaining a horse pasture? I have a few questions to ask and if it's not appropriate for this newsgroup, you can email me off group if you wouldn't mind answering some questions. I was wondering when you do replanting of bare areas, how long you permit growth in-between grazing periods, what you've found to be the best replanting mix, etc.

Giselle (looking at some chewed up pasture and getting antsy about making it grow again)

Reply to
Volfie

Check with your local extension agent for the best advice.

Reply to
Anonny Moose

There's a rec.equestrian news group that have very helpful folks. You can post what type of climate you are in, size of pasture and what problems you have and want corrected, how much use the pasture gets. If you have breeding stock that needs to be taken into account also. Give them a try.

Kim

Reply to
K, T, E & N

Oh, THAT guy. When we moved here I tracked him down. I called his office a dozen times. His secretary finally said, "He's basically retired and only works about 10 hours a week and he works for three counties. He probably won't be calling back."

Giselle (so much for *him*)

Reply to
Volfie

That's the group I was trying to think of -- thanks! I knew there was one somewhere but I didn't search under "rec" for some reason.

Giselle (or -- DUH -- "equestrian" :)

Reply to
Volfie