Miter Saw from harbor freight ?

Page 2 of 2
Frank wrote:

The RAS is for framing and can rip if needed. It is permanently setup at my shop and I use it mostly for framing and rough cutting. The SCMS is for trim and more fine cutting as it is much more accurate and is portable. I also have a 10" CMS and an 8" CMS and a 10" MS. A tool for everything. If you want to throw in the old manual mitersaw, I have a total of five.
But then, that's what happens when you are a contractor.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
on 3/29/2008 6:49 PM Frank said the following:

The RAS is a more versatile tool than the Miter saw. It can cross cut, rip, groove, and even rout. When I lived in an apartment complex 25 years ago, I built an entire 12' wall unit consisting of shelves, cabinets, and a fake fireplace in the Williamsburg style, using only a RAS in my superintendant's basement, and that included routing grooves in the pilasters. It was built in 4 sections and made to be taken apart by unscrewing a handful of screws for transportation. When I bought my house back in 1984, I brought that wall unit to my house and installed it in my dining room.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

re: The RAS is a more versatile tool than the Miter saw. It can cross cut, rip, groove, and even rout.
With the proper blade a RAS can be used to cut steel plates. By lowering the depth a little at a time and making numerous of passes, I've cut 1/2" steel plates with great accuracy and perfectly smooth edges.
I've used my miter saw to cut 3/4" steel rod. I even turned off the lights and took a picture of my son cutting some rod. Really cool picture with the sparks lighting up the shop!

I was wondering if my memory was _that_ bad so went out and measured. It is stuck back in a dark corner so the measurement is not all that accurate.
10" at 45 degrees a bit more at 90. Remember we are talking "sliding" miter saws.

Aha! Now I see that I said " when it should have been degrees. As an aside, if I were buying a miter saw, I wouldn't look at any that aren't at least a 'sliding' one and it should also be 'compound'. Mine is. Quite a tool for the cheap price.
Harry K

A sliding miter will allow for wider cuts than a non-slider, everything else being equal. That said, the ad says the capacity is 5 3/8", so if that's true, it just means that without the slide, it would be even less.
I'd call and find out if that stat is accurate 'cuz my 10" non-slide Delta, with the adjustable fence, will do 5 1/8", so an extra 1/4" for a slider sound minimal.
However, as I pointed out in another post, you can easily gain a little more depth of cut by simply lifting the front edge of the board slightly so that the spinning blade completes the cut.

Get a Speed Square:
http://www.swansontoolco.com/products/speed_squares.html
-- Doug

Mine cost over $500 but I wouldn't mine having a HF as a backup or leaving it on a jobsite. It was voted the worst compared to $700 sliding miter saws but they were not comparing apples to apples relative to dollars that is.

Correct. For homeowner use, the cheap tools are just fine as long as their accuracy is acceptable. There are people who insist on pro quality tools even if they only use them once or twice a year. I don't understand that viewpoint.
Harry K

There are people who insist on pro

Same viewpoint as people who show up at Home Depot in a $35K SUV, maybe? >G<
Joe