Milwaukee = Ryobi?

Page 2 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

so what do you sees as the ending?
what's is the inevitable and how do we as Americans "prepare" for it?
I see a lowering of the quality of life... but am puzzled as to how to prepare for the tsunami of change coming at us
On May 16, 3:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I wouldn't bet too heavily on the middle class surviving. After all, it's a recent feature of human society, which for most of history, and over much of the globe today, has been more sharply divided into haves and havenots. Now we have the ability to do so, globally. As Friedman says with his "flat earth"; once upon a time, a poor person in the US or Europe was better off than a pretty well to do person in the third world. that's not true any longer.

wow.... very profound info!!
thanks!!!
I didn't realize that the middle class was a recent phenomenon in the world..... but now that you say so...it does make sense
and.... it also makes sense that we can now flatten the world globally and a poor person in the US may NOT be better off then some poor person in a third world country anymore
VERY scary stuff

You may be construing that I'm against tools made in China simply because they're made in China. Not so. They may be, or they may not, that really doesn't enter into my tool preferences.
It's by no means clear whether there is any regional affinity between manufacturing location and market. It simply doesn't say.
The reality is that companies strive for the cheapest possible manufacturing costs consistent with keeping/gaining market. "Milwaulkee" is an important name, so for long term viability they have to keep the quality that they're famous for. Which means "higher end" design (eg: more rugged tools by design), and good QA. They're going to pick the cheapest place to manufacture consistent with the QA. If they can maintain the desired QA in China, they're going to make it in China. Especially if they're Chinese. Anything else makes no business sense.
Further, manufacturing devices like this draws on all sorts of parts. Chances are that various parts are made by different companies in different countries, and assembly might be somewhere else entirely. Again, under the QA management they figure they want and can achieve.
I'd _prefer_ to buy locally manufactured stuff (which for me isn't the US), but if it doesn't meet my price-quality requirements, I won't.
I have tools that were made in China. And tools made just down the street by Lee Valley. I decide what I need/want vs price, and pick the best match. Sometimes a cheap crappy tool fits my needs better than a high priced high quality one.

I saw all of that, but, remember, manufacturing _location_ has relatively little bearing on any of it. China produces some very high quality stuff, as well as crap. Every country is like that.

Obviously. Neither is Rexon. Purchasing a company like Milwaulkee is an expensive proposition simply because of its brand. It would be stupid to buy Milwaulkee and then let its quality and reputation go down the toilet.
The fact that Milwaulkee is/is not made in China really doesn't matter to me. What matters is whether one of their tools is consistent with my needs/expectations. Unfortunately for Milwaulkee, I don't need any of those tools at the moment (and the B&D store where I bought my rebuilt Dewalts cheap is just around the corner ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,

On May 11, 8:34 am, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

No, I was just responding to what seemed like a claim that what I had posted was in error and an inferred attempt to indicate that there was no US manufacturing...if that wasn't the intent/purpose, ok.
It seems fair to me to assume that since Milwaukee built a large fraction of their tools for the US market in the US before the buyout and those facilities are still in operation that they're still producing for the US market in the US. While undoubtedly they're bringing in parts from all over for assembly, doesn't seem at logical to ship from overseas to the US and then back to, say, Australia when could build for that market much closer...

It may seem fair to assume, but the huge difference in labor costs often completely swamp transportation and/or retooling costs. If they can ship gluten that far, portable power tools is a no-brainer.
You have heard of outsourcing haven't you? :-(
Delta's bandsaws, for example, have been made in many different places over the years. At times by companies who produce clones to be sold as different brands on exactly the same lines.

The world tool market is a confusing place. Take a look at a Woodworking magazine tool review sometime and notice how many of the planers look identical except for minor differences in the plastic shells.
Hint: they were all made in the same place.
Good chance that TTI is selling "milwaulkee" in the far eastern market, except that the shell is a different color and the brand name is completely unpronounceable.
--
Chris Lewis,

On the other hand, if a manufacturer has an efficient manufacturing process, the difference in labor costs become much less significant. The best example of this (although it is not a tool company, the principle still applies) is Dell. The manufacture computers for country X in or near country X. Dells for the US market, for example, are made in the US. The cost of shipping a completed computer from Asia is more than the difference in labor costs between well paid US workers with full benefits, and prison labor in some 3rd world country.
It just doesn't matter if labor costs here are 10x labor costs there, when you only have a few minutes labor going into the product.

Not any more.
--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.

You're thinking of Dell's support. They've moved that overseas. They still build the computers in or near the country they sell them. Note that support is almost all labor.

My Dell, bought in February, says "Made in China".

Is it a laptop? Laptops for Dell (and most of the other major vendors) are made by a handful of Asian companies, and then branded as Dell, HP, etc.
--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith wrote:

Dell computers are made offshore (including the ones customized just for you). They bring them in large cargo containers and then the cargo company opens the container and ships the individual units that are already boxed for shipment.

That's not possible in the time frame of placing an order and getting delivery in only a few days. AFAIK, they still are assembling components in the US although I'm not sure whether it's in Austin and longer. Seems like I heard the built a new facility not too long (Nashville, maybe???) but don't know if it replaced or augmented existing facility/(ies)...
For the other note, there is no "Made In" sticker on my (relatively new) tower other than the individual components inside, but nothing applicable to the box itself as a whole...
dpb wrote:

Why not? It only takes 16 hours to fly freight over from China. The "Dell factory" in Memphis is simply the Fedex hub. My nephew flys for them on that route. The stuff gets put in containers in China pre-addressed and ready to go. They open the containers here and put the package into the US parcel system. The label shows it came from TN.
Also it only takes 4 days for stuff to get here by boat. There are literally thousands of shipments brought in every day by boat.

Better report that so it can be tracked down. I hear they cut the pay in half for such mistakes so someone is going to get $8/month when they find them...

And it takes a hell of a lot longer than four days to see your merchandise. Containers usually have to be at the port three days in advance of sailing and it can take up to a week on this end to clear customs and be delivered. Door to door can easily be 3 to 4 weeks.

Nope. There was a long article about this a couple years or so ago:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/19/business/yourmoney/19dell.html?ex 79 028800&en64407af95bef68&eiP70>
Dell does have a factory in China. It makes the computers they sell in Asia. Their factory in Ireland makes computers they sell in Europe. And their three US factories make their computers for the US.
--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith wrote:

Dell computers for the US market are made offshore.
The cost of shipping a completed computer from Asia is more

Most people would not consider Austin, Nashville, and Winston-Salem to be offshore. :-)
--
--Tim Smith

Only those moderately geographically literate in North America, I guess... :)

How about answering why my three month old Dell says "Made in China" on the box as well as on the case.