Hardy plank squirrel proof? Other recommendations?

Hello Group, I'm relatively new to the group having been a lurker for years, now I have a concern. My wife and I built a log home in the 80's and added an addition to it two years ago. Both the house and the addition are prone to gnawing by squirrels but the house's damage is almost invisible due to the nature of its texture. The addition is a different story. The squirrels chew the lower edge of the vinly "fake shake" siding. We have been able to minimize their attacks by rubbing soap along the edges but this creates a filmy appearance and does not last very long. I thought about replacing the siding (by GENTEK) but that is an ordeal as it will require taking down the entire face from the top to get the bottom panels replaced. The GENTEK product looks great but it has a few disadvantages when it comes to replacing sections. Anyway, I'm getting off track. I want to replace the siding with something less susceptable to squirrels assaults. Cedar was the first thought but we wanted something requiring less maintenance that a natural wood product since we already spend some time maintaining the log walls. Hardy plank came into thought but I wonder if that too would be a source of chewing gratification for the squirrels. Has anybody here ever seen squirrels gnawing on Hardy Plank? Any "barrier" type applications recommended to keep the squirrels away for long periods. I've tried soap. cayyenne pepper and shooting the beasts (The latter is the most fun but it does not get them all- we live in a densely wooded area) We don't want to apply poisons as we raise ducks and geese and sometimes they come up to the decks. Siding and reppellent recommendations welcome. You can even reply directly to duckbiteATqisDOTnet
Thanks in advance, Marc

Well, I haven't seen squirrels chewing on Hardi. The stuff dulls a carbide blade in about two seconds flat, so I doubt squirrels would find much pleasure in chewing it. But you never know for sure. If you really want to foil 'em, put on stucco or brick.

Electric cattle fence along the bottom?
I have Hardi on my own house, and I can say it is a great product, but a scared dog with good claws can scratch and dig it out, had used it in place of some door trim she mauled trying to get into the house, she got to the edge of it and took it off in layers, I would think that squirrels could chew through the edge grain of it, if they can get at the edge, they can knaw through lead, roof jacks, telephone cable, ect, dont leave edge exposed, but I am in Teaxs and lots of them litttle fuzzy rats with long tails here, never had one knaw on my hardie yet.

Using a weedwacker trimming St. Augustine, found that it penetrates the Hardi 1X4 trim around one door. There is no question in my mind that squirrels could physically penetrate such a material as the siding is thinner and made of same material.
So, that leaves the question would the squirrels be deterred by the "taste" of the cement/glue/backing material in such siding. And, playing into that question, what is attracting the squirrels to the home to begin with.
--
Dave

I 2nd the electric fence idea, I've live in a woods and have battled the tree rats for a long time. Coyote piss and ammonia are temporary solutions. Forget about cedar, they'll sharpen their teeth on that also.