a deck with 4' overhanging from the post

Hi, I am trying to run an idea here to see if it is possible to build a backyard deck with a 4' overhang outward from the outer posts. I like a 4' overhang outward because I don't like to have another set of posts at the edge of the deck, that way, my two level deck will share just one set of posts, with the top level edge flush with the posts and the bottom level bigger, and outward about 4' will make the deck appears better when viewing from the ground since my basement entry will be beneath the deck.

Reply to
johnye

Yes, it is possible. You may wish to have a local engineer check the design. In fact, that may be a requirement of your local building department.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Extend outrigger four feet beyond exterior bearing wall and inward 8'-0" to the firt true rafter, doubled. Depress the bearing PL the depth of the outrigger.

Reply to
Steve Kachaylo

I'm a bit confused. The OP was asking about a deck - there is no bearing wall. I also don't understand where the rafter enters the picture.

RicodJour