Need help with whites

I have never had a problem with white laundry. Suddenly it seems like all the whites are gray. Any ideas how to whiten them up again? I use bleach regularly and have heard that whites will eventually turn gray. Is there a way to get them white again?

Thanks for any help D~

Reply to
Annaid

Beverly

I'd look into the cause. Are you washing your whites with colors? Do you have hard water (rust in the water)? Is your washer tub in good condition? Do you need a water conditioner? My whites stay white, even items that are over 10 years old, and I don't use bleach every time. If you are fortunate to have a clothes line, the sun will help whiten them.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Anita

Could it be too much detergent or maybe very hard water that keeps powdered detergent from dissolving? Maybe too much fabric softener.

Reply to
Vox Humana

No

We have a water conditioner

Is your washer tub in good condition?

Think so...washe only three years old

Do you need a water conditioner? My whites stay white, even items that are over 10 years old, and I don't use bleach

Yeah, This is the first time I have had this problem. Been doing laundry for the family for 11 years. This has happened rather quickly.

D~

Reply to
Annaid

I did start using liquid faric softener (instead of dryer sheets) for the first time. I use half of what the machine recomends which is less than what the bottle recomends. Perhaps it is still more than I need to use?

D~

Reply to
Annaid

I will try this Thank you!

D~

Reply to
Annaid

I suggest you go back to the dryer sheets, for safety.

Liquid fabric softener makes clothing much more flammable, burning much, much faster than clothes with no softener or using dryer sheets. A mishap that might otherwise burn a hole in a sleeve or a shirttail, could have most of your shirt in flames in only a few seconds. It was big news a couple of years ago, if you google "fabric softener flammable" you can still find a number of news articles on it.

Reply to
jamie

To really make my whites--white, I use OxyClean and Tide with Bleach Alternative. If you need further assistance Rit has a product that will help you whiten up your whites.

Sijka

Reply to
sijka

Powdered Tide or liquid?