Good Vacuum Cleaner / $150-200 Range ?

We need a general purpose vacuum cleaner. We only have carpet in our house, no hardwood floors. We want an upright, probably one that doesn't use the more old-fashioned type paper bag that is a mess to replace. The price range for us is about $150-200, or maybe a bit more if a special one were recommended.
We don't care too much about attachments, etc etc, we just want a powerful vacuum to get the dirt and stuff out of our carpets. In other words, we don't use a vacuum cleaner to clean our furniture or our drapes. We only vacuum floors.
20 years ago I could spend ten mintues in Sears and find a very good vacuum cleaner for $100. Those days are long gone.
Any good recommendations among you fine folks ?
James

Look for one that has a beater bar. Check your carpet manufacture for specific cleaning recommendations. The guideline is to vacuum your carpet as many times per week as there are people living there. Take your vacuum outdoors to change the bag. I have no idea what a vacuum costs today--my vacuum is going on its 15th year with 2 hours of use each week. Paid $120 back then--neither high nor low end.
if you want to go cheap this was recommened by consumer reports and amazon has it for about $60 shipped. Good reviews on Amazon. I just got it for my upstairs carpets. Hoover U5140-900 Tempo Widepath Bagged Upright Vacuum

I bought a Bissell a couple of years ago for less than 90 dollars. It is bagless and has an extra set of filters that you wash. There are no bags or filters to buy and it cleans great. The only reason I don't use it now is I got a great deal on a Dyson and so I am saving it for my child to use when he moves out.
On Apr 29, 2007 James wrote:

I don't know what they cost in the US but I've had a Dyson for over ten years now and it is as good today as it was when new.
The Dyson I have is, I think, very powerful.
--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk