Cleaning smelly sandals

My teenage son wears sandals (rubber and leather) all the time during the summer months. They can get pretty smelly. Other than scrubbing them with soap, is there another way to deodorize them? TIA

I read this somewhere, never tried it. Put them in a ziplock freezer bag, cover them with deodorizing kitty litter, seal the bag and put it in the freezer overnight.
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."

I wonder why the freezer? I would think that heating them would help more than freezing them.

Maybe heating them high enough to kill bacteria would damage the leather or soften the rubber, heating them to a lower temp would cause bacteria to grow more, and freezing ceases bacteria multiplying and kills some?
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."
Atmosklear is the most powerful odor eliminator on the market. Our odorless odor eliminator and odor elimination process removes odors from your home, pets, cars, boats, garbage cans, smoke, and wildlife.
Atmosklear Odorless Odor Eliminator provides a simple process to eliminate odor at its source unlike other odor eliminators that simply mask the odors with perfumes. Simply spray a small amount onto the source of the odor and it is totally neutralized. There's nothing worse than having guests come over to a smelly house or having to attend a business meeting smelling like a skunk visited your closet. Our forumla will give you the confidence you need when guests arrive at your home or you need to attend a business meeting where a fresh clean outfit is required. You, your friends and coworkers will appreciate the clean, fresh smell available through total odor elimination.
This 16 oz. trigger spray bottle is ideal for the beginner or the small project around the house, camper, or car. Lightweight and easily storable. Can be refilled and used over and over.
Odors will be a thing of the past!
http://atmosklear.net
Thank You Travis Holzem snipped-for-privacy@atmosklear.net