Ants

It's that time of year again, unfortunately. With the lovely warmer weather comes the black ants. We didn't get them last year, so that was a welcome reprieve.

I am looking for a 'non-toxic to humans and pets' method of dealing with them. I saw over the weekend that the commercial ant baits contain arsenic (yikes!) and boric acid, neither of which I want around the toddler and the kitty.

I'd love something that will eradicate the little nasties, but will settle for a repellant of some type, if that is all I can have. We don't drink brewed coffee, so coffee grounds are out of the question. We also live in a very old home and I wouldn't even want to think of how many cracks and crevices may be allowing them in. It's usually a short-lived problem, so I don't want to do a massive amount of work to deal with them.

Any ideas? Recipes for bait that will kill them, or repellant ideas?

TIA!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Nan, You can try camphor, clove oil, tansy, spearmint, or pulverized eggshells inside the house. Around the house foundation you can create a barrier with agricultural lime, bonemeal, or powered charcoal. Ants don't like to cross a chalk line. Plants that repel ants include mint, lavender, chives, rosemary and garlic.

Reply to
Phisherman

I found this on the net a few years ago. I generally add a few drops to the solutions I use to wipe my counters and floors. I also add a few drops to some water in a spray bottle and spray the entrance-ways, inside and out.The odor removes the scent trails that the ants follow. This also leaves a nice scent behind and is not a problem with the dog and cats that run my house.

Herbal Insect Repellent

8 drops Cedarwood essential oil 5 drops Eucalyptus essential oil 4 drops Lavender essential oil 2 drops Neroli essential oil 2 drops Lemon essential oil 1 drop Peppermint essential oil 1 drop Cinnamon essential oil 1 drop Clove essential oil

For a refreshing change from the scent of citronella, try the above mixed into two ounces of carrier oil.

AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES.

Gayle

Reply to
Gayle

6 mg of arsenic could kill a toddler. It would take about a teaspoon of borax. (Table salt is also toxic. Babies have died from salt accidentally added to formula.)

Borax can be used to repel ants. Dissolve a little in water and apply to cracks with a paint brush.

1/8 teaspoon borax in 1 tablespoon sugar. Add few drops of water and heat to make a syrup. Keep it away from the toddler so you won't have to make more.

If the ants like sugar, a few drops will kill a colony. There won't be enough borax in a drop to harm a child or kitten. I like to put it on pieces of cardboard. When the ants find it they'll form a line, and you replenish the refreshment for several days until they stop coming.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

I can understand you not wanting poisons put down with a dear sweet kitten about. I do so love kittens. I had one once but sadly it got run over on its first trip out of the house. Have you thought about a humane trap adapted for ants? That would suit perfectly, no poisons and ant friendly. I am sure Gary could come up with some contraption made from a matchbox I daresay. Once the ants have been collected and removed to a nearby field they will all soon get the message and leave the area where they are not wanted. I read a book about ants not long ago. It was very interesting, they are clever little things and could probably wipe us out if they had half a mind to. Maybe one day they will.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk