Central heating - that time again

We are heading for a cool week with maximum outside temperatures forecast to be around 14C to 16C.
In spring this would, to me, be a sign that it was still too early to turn off the CH.
In autumn it feels as though the extra jumper route is appropriate for the moment.
I know that some people leave the CH on year round on the sensible argument that they maintain a constant indoor temperature so why ever turn it off?
I seem to have a few mental hang ups about temperature; for example if we have hot days and cold nights it doesn't feel right to heat the house overnight then throw the doors wide open during the day to allow that expensive heated air to flow out.
I think if I know that it is going to be eventually warm without the CH I am reluctant to turn it on. If it is cold and miserable outside I seem to want a higher average temperature inside. Not logical (as in wear a jumper) but then I can probably afford the extra gas to raise the inside temperature to 20C (or a bit more) so the house is toasty when I come in from the cold.
We also have significant solar gain at the back of the house so at the moment 50% of the house is around 22-24C and the other half at around 18-19C. Noting that I did try the experiment to move the hot air to the cold rooms but couldn't achieve a high enough flow rate with extractor fan technology. I think you would need industrial size air ducts (the kind people crawl along inside in films) to achieve an adequate rate of air exchange.
No doubt things will get slowly colder during the week as heat outflow is greater than heat inflow over a number of days.
For those who turn the CH off in the summer, is it CH on time again? I assume some of those in the NW have already passed that point.
Cheers
Dave R

On 08/09/2019 11:57, David wrote:

I lit the Aga a few weeks ago and ran the UFH for te first time yesrday - today it is sunny enough to not need it.
Also seem to have first cold of the autumn.
Glad I got the woodshed (almost) finished..

NE here, rather than NW. First (light) frost this morning, so downstairs heating on for an hour to take the chill off. Front of the house faces SW, with large bay windows which capture the sun (and heat) from late morning to sunset, but temp will drop after sunset, so downstairs heating will be on for an hour early/mid evening. Upstairs heating for half an hour before bedtime.
--
Graeme

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 12:35:32 +0100, Graeme wrote:

again?

Never turn it off, thermal mass of the place means you really don't want it to cool down or it'll take days to warm back up to comfortable again.

Not surprised, the "snowflake" was lit up on the cars dashboard almost all the way to Newcastle this morning. Beautifully clear sky, Milky Way cleary visible, without properly dark adpated eyes, as I got into the car at 0430. Bit of an inversion around Whitfield in the Allen valley where the air temp got down to 1C, higher up it was 3 or 4 C.
It's certainly getting cooler, days with no demand for heat:
Sep 18: 1 Oct 18: 0 Jan 19: 0 Feb 19: 0 Mar 19: 0 Apr 19: 6 May 19: 3 Jun 19: 4 Jul 19: 16 Aug 19: 8 Sep 19: 0 (so far...)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 08/09/2019 12:35, Graeme wrote:

I'm still wearing shorts in Sussex. Nice warm/hot day yesterday. Got the top dulux weathershield coat on the windows and restained the patio door hardwood surround.
Even found an old pre-VOC2010 half-used tin of Weathersheild white gloss in perfect condition (I always invert the tin after use having carefully cleaned all round the mating edges of tin and lid which I also seal with smear of linseed oil).
Today it absolutely pissed down.

we turned ours on the day before yesterday.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 08/09/2019 12:44, charles wrote:

The Jet Stream forecast suggests the coming weekend will be an Indian Summer.
It will be the local Harvest Festival Village Fete on Sep 28th, and since it started about 15 years ago, they have never had bad weather, and usually nice and warm.

Perhaps you need to investigate proper temperature control if your house can get too hot due to the CH being on.
--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

I think that he was saying that is seems wasteful to heat the house at night and then when it is warmed further by the sun in the morning, be opening doors and windows to let the hot air out, when he could stay warmer in the evening by wearing more and let the house warm up naturally the next day.
SteveW

I'd say it's always wasteful to heat the house at night. And a decent system will compensate if it suddenly gets warm outside during the morning.
--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Not when you stay up late and someone else gets up early.

The point is that keeping the house warm overnight or heating it up in the morning seems wasteful if the sun does the job by itself later in the morning.
SteveW

In this case night generally means a time when people are in bed.

OK. So you prefer to freeze when getting up early?
--
*They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Type-O.*

No, I prefer to heat it, but the David was saying that he felt it wasteful and you replied "Perhaps you need to investigate proper temperature control if your house can get too hot due to the CH being on" which was not what I read the post as being about and I was simply stating why he might have felt it wasteful.
SteveW
On Monday, 9 September 2019 00:05:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I used to hate waking up with ice on the inside of the windows, but as a kid you don't get to choose.
NT

When you woke up with the hot water bottle frozen you had something to moan about. ;-)
--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

I remember those days well. Single glazed metal crittall windows and no fitted carpets or CH.
But I don't remember feeing cold.
On 09/09/2019 14:28, Andrew wrote:

I remember that too. And ALWAYS feeling cold.
private property.

Was that because your public school couldn't afford heating? But never mind - at least they made a nice big profit.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

I do, and remember riding my bike to school and ending up with frozen ears in winter.
On 10/09/2019 00:21, jeikppkywk wrote:

During the big freeze in 1963 we had no water for 6 weeks (frozen underground metal mains pipe) and no school buses for a while.
A group of us walked the two miles each way, and part of the route was quite a steep hill, which was entertaining because it was just sheet ice and packed snow. Councils didn't seem to believe in putting salt on the roads in those days, hence the lack of buses.