Central heating - that time again

I'm still wearing shorts in Sussex. Nice warm/hot day yesterday. Got the top dulux weathershield coat on the windows and restained the patio door hardwood surround.

Even found an old pre-VOC2010 half-used tin of Weathersheild white gloss in perfect condition (I always invert the tin after use having carefully cleaned all round the mating edges of tin and lid which I also seal with smear of linseed oil).

Today it absolutely pissed down.

Reply to
Andrew

The Jet Stream forecast suggests the coming weekend will be an Indian Summer.

It will be the local Harvest Festival Village Fete on Sep 28th, and since it started about 15 years ago, they have never had bad weather, and usually nice and warm.

Reply to
Andrew

I remember those days well. Single glazed metal crittall windows and no fitted carpets or CH.

But I don't remember feeing cold.

Reply to
Andrew

So stay in bed until later.

Reply to
Andrew

I remember that too. And ALWAYS feeling cold.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Was that because your public school couldn't afford heating? But never mind - at least they made a nice big profit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We know that, but he was talkign about solar gain being so high that he had to open windows. Then the argument becomes do you put up with a few hours of cold or use fuel to heat the house just to get over those few hours.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It would be a very odd house where solar gain happens that quickly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Modern, perhaps?

Large area of bifolds and 3 roof lights, all South facing, does trap a lot of heat very quickly on a sunny day.

Even more so in Spring and Autumn when the sun is lower in the sky and shines further into the room.

Oh, and modern insulation as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Quicker than a thermostat can shut the heating down?

Of course no matter what the starting temperature, solar gain can make that room too hot quite quickly. Best to get some blinds, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No-one is saying that the CH won't switch off, only that it is a choice between heating the house for a few hours or putting up with the cold until solar gain warms it up a few hours later anyway.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I do, and remember riding my bike to school and ending up with frozen ears in winter.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Or one that is designed to do that, like mine.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Ah. Right. Bit of a non question, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

During the big freeze in 1963 we had no water for 6 weeks (frozen underground metal mains pipe) and no school buses for a while.

A group of us walked the two miles each way, and part of the route was quite a steep hill, which was entertaining because it was just sheet ice and packed snow. Councils didn't seem to believe in putting salt on the roads in those days, hence the lack of buses.

Reply to
Andrew

My 1976 house faces south and the solar gain affects the internal house temperature very quickly.

With a 37 degree roof pitch and no dormers it would be ideal for solar panels, but the economics don't add up (unless we are all forced into demand pricing and paying £1 per KwH at peak times.)

Reply to
Andrew