Wet Bathrooms

I had a similar idea (spawned from an idea to clean it with a presurized hose from a wall outlet, so that there would be no, or limited, hand-scrubbing, rinsing and soaping required-- sort of like an easy-clean bathroom-- and everything would just go down a drain or two in the floor) and found out that similar bathrooms exist-- presumably, a wet bathroom-- one that is tiled and waterproofed in a way that it can handle water throughout. I think I'd like to ultimately have one of my own and was wondering what any of you think, if they are good, and if you have any experience with using and/or designing one.

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

"Don"

LOL...

It's not so much what I'm doing per se, but what others are doing, too-- you know-- family, friends, guests, colleagues, acquaintances, strange party-crashers, etc.. It's also about what accumulates over time, too, as well as my aversion to cleaning bathrooms in general. I just have this fantasy of sealing myself in the nude in a dirty wet bathroom (with swimming goggles on to protect my eyes) and power-wash-blasting the whole thing (with an initial soap-injection mix, then clear rinse)-- the toilet, sink, bath, floor-- and then just letting everything run down the drain, and then taking a shower afterward for obvious reasons.

After the kitchen, no doubt. You know, to save space and reduce costs, I've often thought that the kitchen and bathroom could be the same room. The toilet, for example could be beside the food-prep-counter, so that you could simply slide any flushable scraps off the edge. What a time-saver.

In Canada? In the middle of winter? Quel fun!

...Otherwise, I lock me 'and them' in the wet bathroom and treat them to my power hose.

I should google pool bath and see what they're like.

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

I plan to have a wet bathroom in my country house mostly to save on space but also because of all you mentioned. I just haven't decided (for myself) to call it a crapper with a shower or a shower with a crapper in it... but the benefits are great.

The one I'm designing is for the guest/lower level area of the house. Because the space would otherwise be about the size of a powder room (WC, sink and small prefab shower stall), why not just tile the whole room and install a shower head above the space between the WC and sink. place a drain in the center and there you have it. If you really want to get fancy, you can turn the whole room into a dishwasher/car wash like room... leave the room and push the button... instant clean!

Many cities have automatic self-cleaning public toilets. Check out this article on APT's in google answers:

Pierre Levesque, AIA

Dont forget to protect the toilet paper and tissues from the splashback.

Reply to
o8TY

You mean Prairie Doggin' ?

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

"Pierre Levesque, AIA"

Hey, Pierre, that reminds me... I was perusing an arch mag yesterday and came across your house (Catskills?) as one of the apparent award recipients! The mag may be Architectural Review. Had you mentioned that already on here? Anyway, congrats!

It really looks that way... I'd suggest a 'shower with whatever in it'.

Yes I heard about those, too.

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

Which house? The VillaNM? I haven't seen any article... Got any links?

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Pages 84 to 89 from the April edition...

As I thought, it's the twisting house...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Around here, brick and mortar is the convension. Drywalls might be used internally for partions. It's generally 12.7mm gypsum[plaster] board [single or double layer] fixed to the studs. No way one should use that stuff in any wet area. Perhaps suitable grade ply direct to studs, and tanked, would do!

What is the material of your >>1/2" drywall surface.

Reply to
zenboom

Don

Forgot to mention in my other post that where there are grab rails or other items with high point loading they are usually fixed to a plywood patress

Not the neatest detail in the world :-(

Reply to
Tim

"Pierre Levesque, AIA"

Reminds me to get a pdf reader re-installed... :/ Yes it's the post-modern twisting house where the floors become the walls. I'm heading out to that bookstore later today, where I might try to confirm where I saw it to see if it's in the same magazine... Might crack open my laptop and have a "raspberry drizzle scone" and chai tea latte while I'm there at their connected cafe.

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

"Don"

I've noticed that they're doing all kinds of magazine-cover/surface/paper treatments: Matte, half-matte/half/glossy, punch-outs/funky-crops, rubberized, textured, etc..

I might get it printed on some kind of high-quality watercolour paper, maybe blow it up in scale a bit, shift its angle something like 23.66 degrees and slightly over-crop it, and have it framed or mounted in some catchy, odd, artistic manner... Or rip out the page and seal it, as-is, in acrylic resin to mount it in the wet bathroom. :)

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

You can do that if you wish but it's been confirmed that it's from those pages... Which reminds me that I need to get new pics posted...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

"Don"

I may have mentioned this on this NG before, but I have been impressed at how handicap (HC) adjustments and modifications in general seem to help/please everyone else in the process. Ramps, for example, are good for anything on wheels-- strollers, bikes, rollerblades-- and seem easier on the knees than stairs; larger doors and hallways are better for moving large items, and ostensible spaces under countertops (so a person in a wheelchair [WC] can get right up to them[?]) may be good for easier cleaning/organization/access, for more leg/foot-room, for shorter people and for those who simply want access sitting down. Who says you have to prepare meals standing up and hunching over a tall countertop?

Even wet bathrooms (WB's) seem more HC-friendly, in that things such as WC's, crutches and special seating can be placed more easily and securely within, given that, to my understanding at least, WB's seem more "open-concept" in some ways.

Reply to
Richard MacIntyre

name wrote in news:c2Qoe.8479$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:

I saw your other article on that a few minutes ago and that is also an excellent idea, esp. as I'll be 50 next yr and might want to start thinking of such things - I'm already sick of having to climb in and out of the dang tub to take a shower.

Oh, you mean ultra-bright, what I call "airport lighting"...? Bathroom lighting typically is awful.

I want to hang my super-sized bath sheets in a place where I don't have to climb out of the warm shower and traipse across the whole room to get a towel from the closet, dripping water all over (slippage hazard) and getting a chill, just because there is no dang towel rack (and, due to poor design, no place to even put one). For now, I got some metal things that stand on the floor, but they're always in the way and have ot be moved depending upon what one wants to do (i.e. use the toilet or take a shower or whatever).

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:G3kpe.635$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I like those, but I'm thinking of something even lower-wattage plus low voltage (I heard low-V is supposed to save even more energy). Unless Lowe's has LED versions...(the local Home Depot here doesn't)

I wouldn't have thought of COrian. But that sounds nice - as smooth as it is, it'd certainly be easy to wipe. Smooth is also nice for the seat (no "tile dimples" !)

I have this idea that a round shower would be interesting, use a door that slides like into a niche, like a pocket door, but round.

Here's another idea, that I have no idea whether it'd work -an additional set of water controls *outside* the shower. So you could turn the thing on to the desired temperature (actual thermostat control would also be nice), so that the whole thing is warmed up before you get in.

Oh yeah, and heated floors in the bathroom, under the tile.

Hooray

That's the problem with getting something pre-built. You're stuck.

OTOH, I've been iterating (on th domestic front) the idea that, rather than buy something that's a comprimise to begin with and then spending big bucks to make it a little better, why not just rent, find some land, and have it done correctly right from the start - the idea seems to be taking hold...we'll see...

There are, amazingly enough, some lots open right in Houston. Most are only about 7000-7400 sq ft tho'. OTOH, that's also true of many of the existing houses anyway. The tricky part would be minimizing the house footprint to allow for both pool and some garden...no basements there, either.

There is land outside of Houston proper, but huge chuncks have been bought up for developments. Looked at some of those but didn't like 'em, I'm not big on the new traditional. I like cleaner lines, more trees, and larger lots.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Don't forget to buy "Your Cabin in the Woods"... ;^) (or maybe you already did?)

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Ya see, you're perfectly illustrating reason #1 to have a place "out" in the country/shore... Books don't belong on a bookshelf in the corner, they belong on a blanket on the grass at your piece of peace. That's WHY one gets a piece of peace!

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

There ya go...

Pierre Levesque, AIA

Thoreau's cabin had a root cellar, a writing desk, a prep area and a sleeping loft...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA