Subliminal reporting

Interesting phraseology. NB: my { } indicates the interesting section.
Y ROBERT COHEN STAR-LEDGER WASHINGTON BUREAU
WASHINGTON -- Declaring she is tired of the "innuendo and outright falsehoods," former Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Christie Whitman vigorously denied yesterday that she made misleading statements about the air quality in Lower Manhattan in the days and weeks after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Whitman, the former two-term Republican governor of New Jersey, told a largely hostile House Judiciary subcommittee {that she re lied on sound scientific data} when she told residents of Lower Manhattan that the air around Ground Zero was safe to breathe.
She relied or she re lied? Rather interesting that the spell-checker didn't pick up on it and neither did the editor. Hmmm, unless....
++ wrote:

Maybe... I stopped eating KFC a couple of years ago after I started getting acidy stomache aches after only a small-fries-and-two-legs meal deal.