Should I replace casement windows with double hung

The interior of my wood casement windows get wet when it rains. I am thinking of replacing them with double hung. I am afraid it will change the look of my

20 year old house or could effect efficiency. However if they get wet it could cause rot and other problems What do you think?
Reply to
Window concern

Hi Window concern, Unsure you realize it or not, but your post also ended up on the alt.archit ecture newsgroup and who knows where else. I went over to 'HomeOwnersHub' where your post may have originated, and it had me wondering about a business model where a for-profit or soon-to-be-fo r-profit outfit crowd-sourced free advice, perhaps from those who didn't re alize their advice was being "sold" on a (soon-to-be-)for-profit site.

Reply to
Warm Worm

replying to Window concern, Iggy wrote: If anything, I'd start by replacing the Casements' gaskets, as you may be thrilled with your old windows once they're dry and newly energy efficient.

20-years old isn't necessarily outdone by today's windows and definitely not by any and every new window, only a few would be a guaranteed improvement. Casement style (includes awnings and hoppers) does seal the absolute best, are the easiest to clean and the cheapest to get with internal blinds.

- However, I personally prefer Double Hung windows to any other style of window. Mainly, due to the Screens being on the outside, can be tilted in for cleaning, can be completely removed for exterior painting or moving furniture and you can open just the top sash for ventilation during most rains.

Reply to
Iggy