Re: Again

Was just thinking about Adams bragging that the COE (corp of engineers)

> *fixed* the levee in a week. > Round here the hurricane season lasts until the end of Nov. and last year we > received an unprecedented 4 hurricanes in a month, all of them devestating > to one degree or another. > > This thing could happen to New Orleans again before the season's over. > > The COE is responsible for the construction of the levee that failed and > they're also responsible for its repair. > Do you think it would fail again if another hurricane came to town? > > The COE has no vested interest in doing stuff the right way. > They suffer no financial penalty for failure as the private sector would. > In fact, they have been rewarded for their disasterous failure by being > commissioned to do the repair work.

IE. The Corps of Engineers can't be sued if they screw things up.

> If you hired a builder to build you a home and then the home collapsed, > killing your wife and kids, would you hire that builder to repair your home? > Would it anger you if the builder was not held accountable for his error > that destroyed your family and your life? > > >

A private company would have been deathly afraid of being sued if:

1: something went wrong and their fix didn't hold. 2: an employee was shot at or killed and they hadn't gone to superhuman efforts to prevent that. 3: they arrived a little too slow, or rushed in causing '1'. 4: they didn't employ enough minorities. They would have been frozen with fear.

In the case of the levees, we NEEDED an entity that didn't fear lawsuits and thus could throw themselves at the task and get it done.

Before launching on a tirade laced with character attacks (your specialty I know), consider this. If I accidentally screw up and break your ribs while performing the heimlich maneuver, you could sue me. So I may not try to save you if you're choking. A firefighter has no such fear, so he won't hesitate.

Get rid of the law and all government, as your response will inevitably be? I still might not attempt to save you if you're choking. Even if you can't sue me if I screw up and break your ribs, who's to say that you won't come after me and assault or murder me for it? And in this case if I don't help you, there won't be a firefighter to do it.

Reply to
Adam Weiss