In The News freecycle Being Sued!

Hi folks,

As you probably remember, The Freecycle Network (TFN) took issue with Sunnyvale's great freecycling group. Below are some consequences that TFN now faces. FreecycleSunnyvale continues to believe that it is best for freecycle to be free for everyone. The freecycle grassroots movement should stay true to its own freecycling philosophy.

1) On 1/17/2006, The Freecycle Network's (TFN's) proposed trademark registration was published for opposition in the Trademark Official Gazette at:
2) On 1/18/2006, the unincorporated non-profit association FreecycleSunnyvale filed a formal opposition to TFN's trademark registration with the USPTO. You can read it at:
3) On 1/19/2006, FreecycleSunnyvale also filed a lawsuit against The Freecycle Network in federal court (US District Court, Northern California). We will point you to a copy of this filing as soon as we can.

4) Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP (one of the 10 largest law firms in the world) are the attorneys for FreecycleSunnyvale and are providing their services pro bono. None of the members of FreecycleSunnyvale (which includes Tim Oey) are spending any of their own money for the opposition or the lawsuit. You can read more about the law firm at:

5) Anyone else who wishes may now file an opposition to TFN's proposed trademark registration (please note that there is a fee to file such an opposition). If you or your group has been harmed by TFN, you may also file a lawsuit of your own against TFN.

6) Since a lawsuit and an opposition are now underway, the members of FreecycleSunnyvale may be restricted in what they say.

7) If TFN chooses to negotiate, these cases could be settled in a few months. If not, they may take many months.

Sincerely, Tim Oey on behalf of FreecycleSunnyvale

Reply to
xfreecyclex

Interesting. I belong to one near me. No one posts to it much except Spammers.

-- Piper I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap.

Reply to
Piper