Ok, is it a child or a lamb in the background?

you miss-post again?

Group singing is the only thing I miss about church. A couple of my friends sing in (non-church) choirs for the same reason.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

No, while perusing the newsgroup, I was downloading free MP3s of supposedly religious music although this turned out to be folk music, recitations and etc. in the middle of some church music but all from somekind of outdoor concert. I was interested in peoples' opinion, was it a child, baby or sheep or lamb. I concluded it is a lamb.

I sing in a few choirs, diffrent languages, have cut down on the secular stuff recently.

Reply to
++

From what I can glean from the title, it doesn't look (or sound) like folk music.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Michael Bulatovich wrote:

It is a mixed bag. It seems like it was originally some kind of outdoor concert c alled Raise the Pillars to raise money for the rebuilding of Djurdjevi Stupovi, It has everything from those kind of communist sort of recitations to people doing Byzantine and Serbian chant with an ison machine to people doing regular folk music to children singing together, etc. I didn't listen to all of them , but a snatch of one I heard someone was talking about demonstrating at the Sava Center, but with sheep in the background, it can't be Beograd? Unfortunately, the Russian Orthodox Church in Moscow doesn't give a lot of info on some of their downloads so I don't even know when or where the concert was held. Whole album is here:

It is sure not an Orthodox event because people are clapping at the numbahs. Djurdjevi Stupovi which was built by Saint Stefan Nemanja in the 12th century, on the hill above the medieval Serbian capital Ras in Rashka (I know you know this, but others on the newsgroup do not). The album is an almost grotesque combination of nationalism and piety and features, on one its track one of the most nationalist bishops of all doing in this case not so bad a sermon. Hmm, maybe there is a website? Yes, indeedy, and some of the numbers ar on You Tube.
which is, surprisingly, optimized for Firefox and evidently, from the initial site photo, Djurdjevi Stupovi Monastery is finally under reconstruction. I think I did a paper on the ediface in 79 or 80 and the building was in ruins at that time, so this is a new effort. Always liked the architecture.

Reply to
++

One of my favorite blends! Just this morning I found myself corresponding with some kind of fundamentalist Protestant Christian of Nordic extraction, who advised me that "I know the Jews crucified Christ." My first reaction was, "I've heard about these types", followed by a shudder.

I wanted to point out that the Romans were in charge, and that Jesus, his parents, his Apostles, and all the OT prophets were Jews, but then remembered my rule about debating with ideologues. I wondered what it would take to get this person to participate in a pogrom under the sign of the cross, and I realized sadly: not too much.

From Wikipedia:

H. L. Mencken defined a demagogue as "one who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots."

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

One of my least favourite bits. Most of the music was so dull and a congregation of untutored sibilants leaking jeesssusss chrissst is right up there with licking wooden spoons.

Ah, well, if you're going to get competent people and make us in the peanut gallery shut up, different story.

Reply to
gruhn

So, if I understand you correctly, and I hope I don't, if you're doing anything at all while perusing this newsgroup, that makes it related to this newsgroup so you post it. ...you are a master of irony.

RicodJour

In the eastern church, the congregation generally doesn't sing. It's the priests and choir or cantor. Most of them are pretty good. The main thing isn't really how good there were though, it's that is was live, and unamplified.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

It was a concert of mixed, sometimes incredibly nationalist religious music dedicated to saving and renovating a very unique Serbian church ruin, a church ruin I actually studied at one time ( studies I did on Romanesque influences on Serbian churches) and I was going to get around to a discussion of some of the unique and interesting elements of that particular building but it seems that really you would like to reduce the number of posting personalities on this particular newsgroup. No problem - tell ya what. I will just show up here on the rare occasion and post irrelevances. OK? This will make the newsgroup more manageable for you to read and also illumine and underscore your contention that I post only off topic.

Bored,

Galina

Reply to
++

Dear Bored,

I have no qualms about off topic posting. It is, primarily, what this group does. I am merely seeking acknowledgment that you have been thoroughly and totally co-opted and now post total irrelevancies without hesitation. The very thing you complained of when you first visited this group. Some might construe that as admitting weakness, but I view it more as starting fresh - a clean slate - similar to, "Hi. My name is Bill and I am an alcoholic."

RicodJour

That I'd like to hear. I like the forms a lot. Ditto for those Russian "chimney" churches, which have always baffled me.

Personally, I'd abolish all churches, etc... ; )

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich