Identify House Style, Please

Page 2 of 2

Wha?
On a good day, maybe. On a bad day, they don't remember what they meant.

When they get to 90 I call them "walls", and while they give the middle of the plan a lot of light, I usually find they leak from above.

I thought the position of the ground floor's front wall did that.

Wha? You talking about a cricket, or bell cant?

I think you're giving this thing way too much credit. It looks like builder-schlock to me. Not everything has a 'style'. To do so is to conform to a recognized set of formal imperatives to some extent. BTW, guessing from the clumsy geometry, I'd say this thing is newer than you think.

It's 1960s, but not New England. Go west, young man! Remember the Alamo.
--
Don\'t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different
enough. -- Arthur Freed

Strongly disagree.
Gruhn:
gruhn wrote:

The 'salt box' type of house had humble settler beginnings. The houses were small, however, the basic shape determined the character type for untold numbers of subsequent houses.
Recall the shapes of the houses, in the board game, "Monopoly", and you have the New England 'salt box' house shape.
That's all there is. Its no big deal - just a basic shape. You can add to it, however, the basic shape remains.
That is nothing that you can possibly "Strongly disagree" about.
Middle Western or Western ranch style houses are a different matter. They have many more origins, shapes and different types. In small houses they have a predominately horizontal layout.
Ralph Hertle

Well, that shape wasn't invented in New England, so we could take exception to the amero-centric appellation at least. Then there's the asymmetry of the section of a saltbox which hasn't been established in this case...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltbox http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10309.shtml
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

plus added shed section. We have one in my town with base house from 1638 and sheds from 1670. Looks pretty much like Don's sketch. It is not small inside, though ceilings are low (7'). EDS

Practical.
Also practical in a frontier setting. A simple gabled rectangle is universal at temperate latitudes. The gable+shed addition is pretty much the same. Saw it on the New Yangtze Workshop... ; )

WOW, I particularly like the two sagging ridge beams and header beam over garage door opening. Next in line is the wallow eyed windows in the oversized dormers. Classic building designer who never even had a drafting course in high school pulled this one out of his ass, and we have a gazillion of these all over our country... :)

heheh Looks like a fighter who's eye is closing up.
Kami Kitty wrote:

Ugly style. Yuck.
(The image finally came up for me).

Do you need her so?