Identify House Style, Please

But he comes with a lifetime warranty!

Sooooo, where abouts is this house?

Reply to
Lou

WOW, I particularly like the two sagging ridge beams and header beam over garage door opening. Next in line is the wallow eyed windows in the oversized dormers. Classic building designer who never even had a drafting course in high school pulled this one out of his ass, and we have a gazillion of these all over our country... :)

Reply to
Jude Alexander

heheh Looks like a fighter who's eye is closing up.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Don, you may have a point. If only one window per side was affordable than a

12/12 roof over the garage was out. However this is a popular design in northern Illinois for second stories over post war bungalos. I've done a few. It seems the infrastructures where built better than today's. It also makes for a good look without having to match old brick. Lou
Reply to
Lou

Ugly style. Yuck.

(The image finally came up for me).

Reply to
3D Peruna

Do you need her so?

Reply to
gruhn

Strongly disagree.

Reply to
gruhn

The 'salt box' type of house had humble settler beginnings. The houses were small, however, the basic shape determined the character type for untold numbers of subsequent houses.

Recall the shapes of the houses, in the board game, "Monopoly", and you have the New England 'salt box' house shape.

That's all there is. Its no big deal - just a basic shape. You can add to it, however, the basic shape remains.

That is nothing that you can possibly "Strongly disagree" about.

Middle Western or Western ranch style houses are a different matter. They have many more origins, shapes and different types. In small houses they have a predominately horizontal layout.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

Well, that shape wasn't invented in New England, so we could take exception to the amero-centric appellation at least. Then there's the asymmetry of the section of a saltbox which hasn't been established in this case...

Michael Bulatovich

Decorated Shed Cape Cod

Reply to
thisbeit

Usually the long slope faced North in New England. Basic rectangular shape plus added shed section. We have one in my town with base house from 1638 and sheds from 1670. Looks pretty much like Don's sketch. It is not small inside, though ceilings are low (7'). EDS

Reply to
EDS

or here

thisbeit

Practical.

Also practical in a frontier setting. A simple gabled rectangle is universal at temperate latitudes. The gable+shed addition is pretty much the same. Saw it on the New Yangtze Workshop... ; )

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich