Any bird expert?

Hi, In my back yard and at the cabin out in the woods I built and hung quite a few bird houses. I have one question. At the end of season do I need to clean out the nests they built or leave them as is? I can access inside of the house and when I checked all has nests and chicks moved out.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Tony - We clean them out every year - here is a good link for info:

jim

Hi Tony - We clean them out every year

Must be section 8, always need to go in and clean up after the tenants move out. Mike :-)

Reply to
amdx

It is a good idea to clean it out and get all the lice etc out of there.

Reply to
jmeehan

A clean and empty house will be much more inviting to the next batch come spring. Just like humans, they prefer houses that don't take days of cleanup before they can move in. I'm no bird expert, but IIRC, almost no species will reuse somebody else's nest. There are a few that will come back and add another layer to their own old nest, though, but I don't think those kinds use houses.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, Thanks. I'll clean them out proper.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have done either one. Obviously, if you want to take the house in for the winter, clean it out with soapy water with some bleach. Most birds will clean out a used birdhouse before making their own nest. My first birdhouse built over 25 years ago is still holding up well, and the birds seem to prefer it over the newer models.

Reply to
Phisherman

birds just build nest over old nest, till the house gets so jammed its unusable.

I am no expert but have near 25 bird houses on our property.

Also have some bird roost houses to put up, so birds have nice warm winter home.

Reply to
hallerb

Make sure you clean them out in the spring so as to get the mouse nests out that were built over the winter.

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Extreme Makeover candidate.

Reply to
Red Green

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I see. A regular slum lord you are.

Reply to
Red Green

Both of you should get security deposits, to pay for the cleaning if necessary.

Oops. Wrong ng.

Reply to
mm

Most newer models have formaldehyde in the walls.

Esp. the ones the federal government supplies.

If you apply for a C of O, you'll need EPA certificates. If you don't have one, it will be very hard to collect rent.

Reply to
mm