Hurricane-proof House

Page 5 of 8

For a hurricane? Last thing I would want to be in.
What Army has submarines anyways.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Poland? ;)
nice catch, though.

skroob wrote:

Are you sure you would trust an *army* surplus submarine?
-Bob

It would be far cheaper to buy a house in some distant locale. At least, you could use for some purpose all the time. Jim
Nehmo wrote:

On the North Carolina shore - near the mouth of the Cape Fear, one fellow built shacks on stilts. They get some fearsome hurricanes in those parts. The stilts, he claimed, allowed the house to sway in the wind (rather than resist and get pushed over). And the stilts kept the house from flooding in the surge.
--
Saville

[asinine proposition snipped]
I nominate this thread as the most retarded ever in the history of these groups.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Second nomination of "Prize winner?" as most retarded thread ever.
gruhn wrote:

I nominate you both as the most retarded posters to a thread ever.
Matt

I know you are butt what am I????
;-]
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

Nah. Robin's butt. Just ask Ms Hartl and Mr Lee.     j4

I don't know who Robin is let alone her/his butt.
If it's a him, I WILL let it alone....
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

^^^^ I think you wrote it above! :-)

I have seen worst, but
<In my best Larry King voice>
"It's way up there...."

Best would be to build it in Britain, not America. (after all, "in Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen")
Second best would be to build it in America, in the way the British have always, and still do, build perfectly average houses. They're not great in earthquakes and in hurricanes the roof comes off (just look at Birmingham a month or two back) but the expensive structure stays intact and doesn't crush the inhabitants.
If you're worried about flooding, ask the Netherlanders, who have done this stuff quietly and competently for centuries.

And what percentage of the British population actually own homes?

Roughly 70%. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id1
Why?
http://www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/eye/pictorial1.html
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.
You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the impacts of debris.
You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.
The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies. And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if necessary.
How should this house be built and what should it have?
-- |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
Nehmo (in nalUe.27864$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com) said:
| How should this house be built and what should it have?
Solid but light. Wheels.
[and anti-troll protection]
Nehmo wrote:

I was just wondering about how to reinforce the front door so the cops couldn't kick it open -- even with that little battering ram they use, unless they want to keep pounding on it for 20 minutes. I think the door frame and the latch are probably more important than the actual door. Of course, it would have to have a chain so you could crack it open to talk to people on the other side if you wanted to. 5/16" safety chain? If they tried to kick it in while the door was cracked, it would bounce shut (breaking someone's foot, hopefully) and you could latch the bolt if you were fast.
An antique-looking 4 inch cannon in the front room would make a great conversation piece. Hopefully no one would ever have to find out that it was real and loaded with grapeshot.
Wood-frame construction (except for the heavy steel door frames) with lots of metal ties to hold the roof joists to the wall plates, and steel siding.
No basement, obviously.
Heavy full-sized shutters to cover the windows.
Small generator and transfer switch.
Best regards, Bob

Local Hell's Angel hangout was raided - the cops used a backhoe to open the door. The HA rebuilt with a concrete wall in front to the door so they couldn't use a backhoe again.
Mike