embarrassed to ask this newbie question

I've looked for an architectural dictionary online and found a few with some definitions but I haven't found one with a definition for a perspective drawing. I think that's the word. I understand what a floor plan is, I think and an elevation but how can I find or buy a really basic dictionary to explain what a site map and perspective are and other really really basic terms are? Thanks.
Look at these two: A Visual Dictionary of Architecture Architectural Graphics both are by Frank Ching. They are not cheap, but Ching's graphics are worth the price. TB

I concur, I have the above Francis Ching book and believe it to be invaluable. I think it was around $100-140 CAN
Chris

The price printed on my copy of A Visual Dictionary of Architecture is: $34.95
Another good Ching book is Building Construction Illustrated (no price listed on it).
HTH,
Michael (LS)
Thanks. That was helpful. To know that a perspective drawing in architecture is pretty much the same as in regular drawing. Are there rules about the point of view or maybe customary practices? Do 3D computer programs make perspective drawing that would be acceptable for one part of a presentation to a client or to go to a planning board or zoning meeting or to be filed as part of the official plans?
Thanks again. : -)
: "cat herder"> wrote : > I've looked for an architectural dictionary online and : > found a few with some definitions but I haven't found : > one with a definition for a perspective drawing. I think : > that's the word. I understand what a floor plan is, I : > think and an elevation but how can I find or buy a really : > basic dictionary to explain what a site map and perspective : > are and other really really basic terms are? : : I'll assume you mean a 1) Site Plan and a 2) Perspective drawing. : : 1) Site Plan : ********* : A Site Plan is a *floor plan* of a given site. : Site Plans are generally drawn to engineering scales, ie., 1" .00', : 1" 0.00', etc. : The site plan will shown the *Property Lines* of any given piece of land, : and it will show the building located on the land with the distance : dimensions from the building to the property lines on at least 4 sides. : Other items that may be shown are driveways, sidewalks, accessory : structures, wells and/or water lines, septic systems or sewer systems. : Sometimes setback and easement lines may be shown on the site plan too. : Generally, just the immediate things that may effect the proposed structure : must be shown. If you are working with a very large piece of land, say 20 : acres, and there is an existing pole barn on one side of the property and : the current site plan is addressing a residence on the opposite side of the : land, the pole barn will not need to be indicated. : : 2) Perspective drawing. : ****************** : A perspective drawing is meant to show a structure or scene in a *realistic* : manner that is easy for laypersons to understand. Perspectives can be done : freehand with a loose interpretation to the *rules* or it may be done with : mechanics, straightedges and templates, and a strcit adherence to the : *rules* depending on the amount of effort required. I do freehand : perspectives almost everyday and mechanical perspectives rarely anymore. : Perspectives are governed by the number of *vanishing points*. I usually use : a *2 point* perspective when showing the exterior of a home and a *1 point* : perspective to illustrate a straight on view, like if one were to stand in : front of an entry porch on the front of a house. Describing the perspective : drawing process is difficult to explain, and more difficult to grasp, when : you are dealing with the written word only. So I googled this site to show : you the basic thought process behind perspective drawings. If after viewing : this site you have any additional Q's, just ask. http://tinyurl.com/djp8v : :
Thanks to everyone who replied. My question was answered. I appreciate the help. : -)