Cape Coral Mold :-(.

Page 2 of 2
Warm Worm> wrote:

http://www.skatescool.com/inline-skating/inline-skating-victorian-style/http://www.extremekites.com.au/forums/download/file.php?id 100
Redirected me to a nasty swedish pr0n site with free everything. Took me 11 hours to get out of that thing and I thought my hard drive was gonna explode. Don't let Pierre see this.

Nice story... My first one I had was also free and offered as a sample in 2004 in Windsor, Ontario at a newly-opened KK store. It was plain that they had just fried off this windowed assembly-line. It's the place and time I had my bike stolen and took up rollerblading too.

Great if you travel and looks nice too.

Not bad. I stripped the paint completely off the frame of one of my previous aluminum mountain bikes and spruced it up a bit-- the one that got stolen in Windsor. I think it looked a little too attractive to the kids in the area.
I seem to recall the Klein frame paint-jobs being some of the best in the industry, along with the bikes/frames, but they were generally out of my budget-cap for a bike.

Very nice. What kind of course and/or programme did you take that had you do that (IAP?)?

Why is this paragraph in quotes and who is 'Sheldon' and 'I'? That a clip from the Klein case?

How was the trip? I actually spoke with someone just recently-- an adventurous young woman-- who mentioned wishing for a trail system to cross the US by bike.
http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters/woodworking/2/3/article1.htm
(16 years old :)
...For when the world economy continues its further slide, runs out of cheap oil/other resources ('peak oil', etc.), mining slows down, things descends into chaos and civil war, and/or who knows whatever else.
And then there's... http://www.calfeedesign.com/products/bamboo / "Bamboo Benefits: Our most crash tolerant frame..."
And one I was eyeing some years ago for the winter (Yes, Ken, you can actually bike in Ottawa all year 'round and in the rain :) http://christinibicycles.com/bikes.php

Thanks. It's a fun ride to boot.

Mine, too. I'm kind of glad that I didn't buy one back when. I ended up rolling my own and learned a lot more about bikes that way.

January was a winter break month, so some people scattered to the four corners, traveled, stayed home after the holidays, but the school offered literally hundreds of non-credit or low-credit Independent Activity Period courses. Everything from bong making (I kid you not) to making an aluminum bicycle frame.

Yep. That link above - FellOnFell - was written by Sheldon Brown's wife, Harriet Fell. Sheldon Brown was a larger than life "bike nut" character who was in many ways one of the grandfathers of modern cycling, and he wasn't even old. He passed away a few years back and there's been a noticeable hole in the void since then. Google him. The worst you'll find anyone says about him is that he was a good- natured smart and funny guy - and those are the mean-spirited people saying that!

Excellent. Lots of good memories, and the bad ones make good stories. ;) I'm toying with the idea of doing another extended tour in the not too distant future.

Calfee is one of the premier carbon fiber bike outfits. That's their response to carbon fiber's less than stellar crash survival rate. If a carbon fiber bike is in a crash it's usually wise to replace it, though Calfee is about the only outfit that will repair frames that are not their own. In a crash an aluminum frame is more forgiving, and steel even more so.

You can do anything year round if you dress for it (guess that leaves Ken out!) and have the right equipment. Human monkeys are very adaptable.

What ideas for routes/places might you have?

When I was biking in the winter in Ottawa, I dressed warm enough that it felt like I was indoors. I'd even work up quite a sweat at minus 30degC.. and was often questioned by pedestrians, too-- sometimes apparently shivering waiting for the bus-- that, 'I/It must be cold.'. Now that I recall, to my bemusement, I used to sometimes catch this guy in the area on his bike in the dead of winter wearing only shorts and a t-shirt. I imagine his trips were short and/or very energetic... Actually, just after writing that sentence, I decided to see if, on the off chance, there might be an image of him, and lo and behold, there is!
http://cycle.ottawacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Erdmann-jana.jpg
:D
https://plus.google.com/111464618004046892866/about "Introduction: Overweight, balding, don't own a car, and I'm available ladies!"
He's kinda cute. Some women may be missing a good bargain... but then we're talking 'Ottawa' women... Pop him in Montreal, Toronto or maybe Vancouver and I'd wager he'd be snapped up in no time.

If you ride at a slower speed, there's insufficient friction and/or surface-tension to bring the water up onto your back or mud in your face. In the winter, depending on where you are, that's often less of a problem in part because things are frozen. Some time ago, when I was riding often in the bitter cold in Ottawa, I thought of a quick adaptation that I was thinking of calling, 'Cozybike': It consisted of a length of copper tubing, the downtube's water-bottle bolts, a see-through umbrella and a "cape" of plastic with button-snaps along one edge. It's been awhile since my last bike, but I've usually ridden all- weather and all-seasons, and have done so in cities and towns across the country. I might not be as "harder-core" as Rico's approach seems, but it might not be too far off. About a week and a half ago, I visited a beach and saw some sandpipers or piping plovers.
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote:

There's no feeling in the world like the one you get about 1-2 seconds before totally losing control of the handlebars on a fast downhill run. You know, when the bars start wobbling back and forth real fast, and you know peril is already all over your ass. At that point is where I prepare to land....and hopefully roll and spread the damage out over a larger area. I cringed while typing that......LOL

I once ended up against a tree and sort of upside down with the wind knocked out with another mountain bike in a similar predicament in Stanley Park. A bit of an embarrassment so close to the North Shore (known for some hard core trails). :) I've had some far nastier accidents on my bikes than rollerblades.

As I may have wrote, mine was $600, plus tax etc.. There're some questions for me regarding both extremes-- your $90 and something maybe over $900. I've seen ~$9000-and-up mountain bikes.
I also got back from Halifax with one of these after your words about fenders:
http://www.axiomgear.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/171324-02.jpg
Bike rack and fender in one, matches the bike, plus I can take it off.
The bike still relies on layers of technology infrastructure, such as in depending on replacement-parts from abroad. An all-local-wood bike, less so. Just the tools, which also rely on mining/smelting. ;)

Did I read/you write that right? Are you suggesting the car is used as a kind of ski-lift?
I like the idea of someone dropping me off with a kayak, camping gear and some food at the start of a long river in the summer and getting picked up after a few days/weeks at the mouth. That too would take some infrastructure that we can often take for granted.

Better than beans and weiners... Well... maybe it's a toss-up.

You'd have to pay me to buy and own one at this point, such as when oil is orbiting $100 per barrel..
There is little man has made that approaches anything in nature, but a sailing ship does. There is not much man has made that calls to all the best in him, but a sailing ship does. ~ Alan Villiers 'u'

Both perhaps. I learned to sail on my own in a Sunfish as a kid on Lac Tremblant. At least enough to get back to land against the wind (tacking, etc.).

Popeye said that?

I never go swimmin' wif bare legged wimminz'.......

So much for skinny dipping, ay pops?
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote:

My dad and I rebuilt a 1949 Harley when I was 18 and it had a right hand, er, foot, kick. It was bored .40 over and had 15:1 compression. I stood up on it and put all my weight on my right leg and kicked down. It went all the way down and then some, stopped for a nano, then came back up throwing me over the handlebars while folding my leg backwards at the knee. Was never right afterwards but I sort of got over it. Then about 8 years ago I stepped over a low fence with that leg and when I touched down on the otherside that knee folded sideways and came clear out of joint. Talk about painful, and grotesque. I looked at it and it looked like one of them balloons you twist into an animal. And I was sitting on it. I had to lift my weight off of it with my hands, no mean feat, then unwrap and pop it back into place. And I had to be quick cause the pain was unbearable. This has happened several more times since and I gauge my behavior accordingly from this point forth. I'm convinced that when you stretch a ligament it never heals completely but is permanently altered.
Warm Worm> wrote:

Pssst.....just about everything is a distraction now a days. Find your focus and stay there and let everyone else spiral out of control. Your mind will thank you.

Good advice, Don...
I'm in Liverpool, NS. The town is 2000 people, give or take. The loudest sound at night, and most of the day, is usually the fridge. I can hear myself think, and sometimes even that's too loud. ;) Just how I like it. The closest thing to the Occupy movement is in Halifax-- far enough away, but even then, by the images I've so far seen, it's literally a picnic.
On the other hand, Halifax just got awarded a gov't contract to build some new warships... Unfortunately, there's only one spaceship Earth when 'everyone else spirals out of control'.
..."...watching some good friends scream, 'Let me out!'... " ~ Queen/David Bowie

Peace starts inside your head, and radiates outward til it hits an immovable object, like a society or mob. The best you can do is put distance between you and the mob, and at 2000 people it sounds like you may be there. The closest town, er, village to me is about 850 people and it is 6 miles away and only 15,000 people live in the whole county. Contrast that to my old city of Cape Coral, FL with a pop. of 180k and 600k in the whole county. Yes, it was suffocating but for many years I didn't realize it. In the Cape my bathroom window was 20' away from the neighbors bathroom window but here it is at least 800' to the nearest neighbors house. Here, animals practically eat at the supper table with us but in the Cape the only animals were the fire ants, and the asshole neighbors of course, and legions of rabid gov't drones watching your every move. The Cape had perpetual jets flying overhead but here I can go a week or more without seeing or hearing one and their perilous vapor trails. Winter is coming, are you ready? I mean, really ready? I'm not talking about the weather.