Cantilevered deck

-------------------------------------
I hope someone can help me. Here is the problem. I have a deck that is built on 2X10s 10 feet long. It is 4' by 4', 16" centers. It is cantilevered 6' into my house. Does anyone know how much weight it would hold? A formula would be great. My local building inspector says it has to go. Thanks!
On Nov 11, 7:06pm, bagsbackache_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Jim Bags) wrote:

General rule of thumb is that the inboard length of the joists should be twice as long as the outboard, but that's a rough rule of thumb. No way in hell are you going to be allowed to keep it unless you have an engineer or architect sign off on it.
Any calculation will require knowledge of local building codes, local design loads (wind, snow, seismic, etc) and the specifics of your existing construction (species and grade of lumber, fastener size/ location/spacing/capacity, etc.).
This is not stuff you will find on the 'net. Pick up the phone and write a check, or take down the deck. Sorry.
jim bags had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/architecture/Re-Cantilevered-deck-17069-.htm :
Thanks. That is what I was afraid of.
RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 11, 7:06pm, bagsbackache_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Jim Bags) wrote:

Depends on why the inspector said it had to go. He has to give a reason, ie., structurally inadequate, improper connection anchors, etc. If it was me, and this was new construction, I'd make it so solid the inspector would be in awe. 4'x4' is microscopically small so I can't imagine this not being doable. Put a 2x10 on each side of the supporting joists and through-bolt them with (4) 1/2" x 8" bolts with washers on both sides, staggered @ 12" o/ c. Rico is right about that rule of thumb, but thats all it is. Whats less expensive, to remove it and patch the hole or to fix it in place?