Subject Author Posted Replies

Minwax Polyshades
I had an epiphany today concerning Polyshades. Fellow came in with a table that had at one time been a perfectly innocuous reasonably well made piece of cheap unfinished furniture, but it was now...
5
5

Restor-a-finish and that darned cat
A couple of days ago, right after the big snowstorm, I noticed some snow and a little dust on a quilt on a '50s walnut sideboard out in the barn. After staring stupidly at the roof for a while trying...
6
6

Happy New Year and Prosperity to all!!!
Make sawdust, make money, slap granma, kiss the wife, boot the dog, hug the kids!!! Have a good one y'all!!! r
8
8

Q: "Ironwood" and PING: Mac Davis
I've seen many references to "ironwood" here and in ABPW (especially by Mac Davis, I believe). A quick search on Google and Wikipedia reveals the name is used for dozens of species. Any idea as to...
6
6

Help with a dust collector
I bought a dust collector from a full time cabinetmaker about 5 years ago. I'm finally getting around to setting it up. This thing is not like the Delta and Grizzlies I've seen. I got a great deal on...
23
23

Opinions On the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over Saw
I'm looking to replace my Dewalt 1501 RAS with something a little bit smaller. I want maximum versatility and accuracy and I've been looking at the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over saw. This is for general...
12
12

Is there a tool
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over it. Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor...
23
23

Don't buy Green Paint Thinner
Working on a mantel for a customer and the plan was to paint it with enamel. Well I live in Environmentally Friendly California and the only Oil Base paints sold are those crappy Alkyd Paints, which I...
29
29

@#$%^&* glasses
Took my glasses off to see to mark something, went off to do something else, came back, something went CRACK--of course the glasses had fallen on the floor and that was them, and it was the lenses...
72
72

DC hoses
Any suggestions where I can find the best prices on 4" dust collection hoses? Has anyone used an alternative such as metal flex hoses or water drain hoses? Thanks
27
27

Possible to have oak floors stained without sanding?
HI group. Forgive me for not researching the other posts before posting. My background: I am not interested in DIY and am willing to hire a good professional to do the work. I have been told that my...
16
16

What is it? Set 369
Six more items have been posted on the web site: http://55tools.blogspot.com/2010/12/set-369.htmlRob
25
25

Ever hear of a TRYON* bit brace?
Just getting back into woodworking, neanderstyle after a long layoff. During the layoff I accumulated quite a few vintage user tools. Since space is limited, at the present I am keeping the necessary...
3
3

woodworking in Japan
In 1969 I met an "International Boy Scout" from Japan at the Scout camp where he served as a counselor. Last year he came back to the U.S. and we met again at the camp. Anyhow, to make a long story...
7
7

Glue advice
I have a chair that needs fixing. It has dowels that hold a curved arm in place, and the dowels have been broken. I need to drill it out and replace the dowels, and glue it back. I have various sorts...
8
8