Bandsaw Magic

I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the lower guide removed and the replacement guide, which makes it all possible, is a pricey $180 from Carter.

Kimosabe

where he could do it all freehand without markings.

Reply to
J. Clarke

freehand. Or non-freehand in less than a few tries and many hours.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
dadiOH

My new nickname would be Stumpy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

the video again you will notice the blade moving back and forth as he makes the turns. A guide should prevent this type movement. The upper guide in this video is certainly not doing any thing.

Additionally, I watched a MiniMax rep do the same thing with the blade guard fully raised with absolutely no blade guides at all, top or bottom. According to him you don't need guides if you have a good BS.

Further, I was fed up with tracking problems and noise problems coming from roller guides. Some blades did well on my short lived Rikon some did poorly. After upgrading to a Laguna BS it does not matter what kind or brand of blade I use, all work well with little to no effort regauding guide adjustments going from one size or brand to another.

Reply to
Leon

It is true that the guides are not doing anything here since the guide is all the way up.

I have seen this demo many times at the WW shows. And I noticed that early on. At the time they were trying to sell the carter guide with the single supported bearing behind the blade and the olson blades.

TWC (now out of business sorry to say. I used to get casters from them real nice and inexpensive) was responsible for the demo.

The guys do>> I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the

Reply to
tiredofspam

That would be worth the price of admission, alone.

Reply to
-MIKE-

20 or 25 years ago at a Model Engineering Show in or somewhere near London there was a guy demoing a power jig saw. For a pound or two a child could write out his or her name on a piece of paper. He would take a strip of wood and freehand that name in interlocking letters which came apart. He did use a drill for the holes in letters like B. He went just as fast as the guy in the video. He once broke a blade. It took him less than 30 seconds to change. It takes practice and a good visual sense. If you don't have the latter no amount of practice will help.

CP.

Reply to
Pilgrim

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

And then reality sets in ...................... oops ........................

Reply to
Steve B

Not necessarily. I have one of those Carter guides and it cost me $80.00. The bottom guides are removed and the Carter single grooved bearing is used in place of the normal top guides. The groove in the bearing holds the blade from going side to side at the back of the blade while allowing the front edge of the blade to turn and twist. This twisting and turning when coupled with a narrow ( 3/16" or less ) blade allows small radii cuts similar to a scroll saw. It is a pretty slick device once you get the hang of using it.

Bob

Reply to
Nothome

A much better deer made from solid cherry sits on one of end tables at home.

It was d> I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the

Reply to
Pat Barber