Worn drill press Spindle/Sleeve

I have an old Drill press that has slope in the spindle. I can feel slope when grabbing and moving upper part of the spindle that comes out of pulley top.

I dissassembled spindle to check for wear. Spindle grooves look perfect to me. Here is my question: how worn spindle should look like?

Can it be that it's a worn sleeve causing slope not a spindle?

Thanks!

Reply to
alexkuzn

No make it more clear: the play is between sleeve and spindle

Reply to
Alex

No make it more clear: the play is between sleeve and spindle

Reply to
Alex

Are you referring to the quill as the spindle? Most quills have a Morse Taper milled in them. Maybe you can post a pic or two on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking???

Philski

Reply to
Philski

Yes, spindle is a part of quill assembly. Please take a look at drill manual manual:

page 16 there is an exploded view.

I have some play between part 65(Driving sleeve with inside grooves) and spindle shaft with outside grooves.

Thanks

Philski wrote:

Reply to
Alex

That's nothing to worry about. The splines are a rather loose fit. They have to be so they will slide smoothly under power.

on page 16 there is an exploded view.

Reply to
CW