Woodworking Show disappointing

While in LV stop in at the Downtown Grand. My son will pour you a beer. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Since they sent me a link, a reviewed the seminars at the St. Louis show (then thought about the Indianapolis show), which was about the same. Then it hit me: The absence of a *Cabinetmaking* seminar. If you are not going to celebrate cabinetmaking, in the most general sense of the term, what sort of woodworking show do you have? BTW, I already mentioned there was no *Chairmaking* this year either. And their certainly was no guitar making.... Doug pointed out that there were no books either. Was the show over-intellectualized before? Was an attempt made to "dumb it down"? You may already know this, but I'll mention that there are some museums that provide great "woodworking shows"? Like to see fine marquetry work?

Reply to
Bill

Well I just noticed that "The WoodWorking Shows is not scheduled to come to Houston, a metro area of 4,000,000+ people and they skip over.

There is no wonder that the show is doing something wrong.

On top of that I noticed that one of the instructors is kinda young. About 6 years ago he was just getting into woodworking with a small shop in his mom's outer building. He has a web site and was on a Google woodworking group. I suppose he is instructing because his woodworking business is not paying the bills.

He is a nice enough guy but 6~7 years experience and now he is an instructor?

Reply to
Leon

They have no shows scheduled west of KC.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I think that not having New Yankee Workshop was part of the decline.

I remember reading how This Old House pissed off many contractors. They thought the show would ruin their business. Instead it set off a building frenzy to build to a higher level, and renovate to that same level.. (high end stuff.. granite, HVAC, crown molding, pavers... etc.) When Norm split off to the New Yankee Workshop, there was a major resurgence in Woodworking. Everyone thought they could do it, and do it as quick as Norm... of course this was not true. But it did set off a WW frenzy. You had many shows that now started to show how to.. They are pretty much all gone. It's all female fluff right now. Even Roy is gone I think. I watched the WW shows decline when HGTV pulled Norm, then further when Norm retired from the series. So while many of you might disagree, this is what I believe.

Reply to
woodchucker

All it takes to be an instructor is the ability to make a 45-minute presentation, right?

Reply to
Bill

Probably true to some point but the shows in Houston in the late 70's early 80's were huge, that was before NYW. The shows attendance were in decline before NYW went off the air and even more since they left the Astrodome location.

Reply to
Leon

Pretty much. LOL

As the old saying goes those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Reply to
Leon

woodchucker wrote in news:H_Wdnes snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Sir Roy is still hanging on. Your PBS station might not be showing him, which is a shame. The last episode I saw as about Van Gogh's chair.

Tommy MacDonald was supposed to replace Norm, but he doesn't even come close.

Hometime is done too. Don't know what the TOH guys will do when Tommy retires.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Roy is still around... season 36.

I think a bigger problem is that we are aging out... not many younger people are exposed to woodworking in school and the myriad single parent households haven't helped...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Bill wrote in news:o7adqe01ae5 @news4.newsguy.com:

Much less than that. A camera and a computer. Don't bother planning things, writing a script, or editing, 40,000 views is out there for you!

Throw a kitten in there if you're not getting enough views. The internet loves kittens.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Roy is still around... season 36.

I think a bigger problem is that we are aging out... not many younger people are exposed to woodworking in school and the myriad single parent households haven't helped...

Forgot to add that YouTube has taken a role in woodworking education... even if I cringe when I see some of the stuff being done it's still influencing people. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

It's not going to be fun dealing with the post-millenials. They will have been taught reading, writing, and arithmetic and have no idea what to use it for!

Next time I pay my "rent" (property tax), I'll have to include a note for the county that says I support band, art, and shop in schools. I'm paying for it, I might as well have some say how my money is used.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Woodworking with younger people has to compete with X-box and smartphones. You can't text with a router. The world is changing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:5q9mA.3$ snipped-for-privacy@fx08.iad:

Yes, and it's going to arduinos and maker spaces, with some of that passion being channeled into home based shops. Some schools are actually allowing their students to do electronics and robotics.

We'll still have woodworking, it will just be expressed in a different way.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My sons were in to woodworking, and won a lot of ribbons, up until they were about 14 years of age. Then girls, computers, music and more recently college and cars came along... I did notice my older son designing some furniture for this room/office a couple weeks ago so I lent him a pile of books. I think he is eying my bulging lumber shed. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Those who can't teach, manage.

Reply to
krw

Actually I can text with my router. Email, too! ;-)

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And those who can't manage?

Puckdroppper

Reply to
Puckdropper

As I recall the progression, they get promoted to the executive ranks...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin