Woodworking knife

orever. I use it mostly for marking fine cuts. Does it pay to get a really good woodworking knife? If so, any recommendations?

edge razor mounted on a dedicated handle.

f I have a metal cutting blade for the band saw but I'm going to check. Cou ld be a fun project.

I didn't have a metal band saw blade so I tried the hacksaw. I got about tw o inches cut and then set it aside for now. I'll hack a couple of inches a day or whenever I can get out there. I really like how Paul Sellers uses a woodworking knife to make perfect saw cuts for dovetails and other cuts. Th at's what I'm actually after.

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Lube is especially helpful when cutting metal with a hacksaw. Paraffin wax helps, but is nowhere near as good as a product like Boelube. The stuff I got is in solid form, probably a wax emulsion. It was cheapest at use- enco.com, about $3 for a small stick. (I waited for a free shipping no minimum promo...then bought 3.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I used a hacksaw to cut an old handsaw blade, not a circular/table saw blade, for one of my knives.

My first cabinet scraper was made from the same handsaw blade. I often use this scraper to scrape dried glue (lines), before sanding, belt sanding or scraping with a store-bought scraper.

I've never tried making a knife blade with a circular/table saw blade.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

This would make the task a whole lot easier.

Spalted Walt

forever. I use it mostly for marking fine cuts. Does it pay to get a reall y good woodworking knife? If so, any recommendations?

le edge razor mounted on a dedicated handle.

if I have a metal cutting blade for the band saw but I'm going to check. C ould be a fun project.

two inches cut and then set it aside for now. I'll hack a couple of inches a day or whenever I can get out there. I really like how Paul Sellers uses a woodworking knife to make perfect saw cuts for dovetails and other cuts. That's what I'm actually after.

Do you have (or know a friend who has) a radial arm saw?

In the thread entitled "what is the value of a sears craftsman 10 inch radial arm saw model no. 113.29411" I described how I used to use a RAS with an abrasive blade to cut steel plates, some up to 12" wide and 1/2" thick.

I'll bet that method would make quick work of cutting a circular saw blade.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You might find this article to be of interest

He makes a good point about the thickness and I note that very few providers of such knives give that information.

For another view,

Note that both are in agreement about spear-point knives, sort of--the first finds rounding the point to be fine, the second sees it as a flaw.

Personally I find such knives a clever concept that has less utility than one might expect--I have a left and right handed set here somewhere that mostly serve as paperweights. If what you have is working for you, stick with it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Or one of their other fine products:

Harold Hill

A somewhat related question? What's the optimum angle for sharpening a shop knife? I've seen 22 degrees, but I wanted to check for other opinions.

Reply to
Michael

For this kind of thing a Dremel with a cutoff wheel is your friend. It's amazing what you can cut with a package of cutoff wheels and some patience. Of course if you've got an angle grinder even better--same principle faster cut.

Reply to
J. Clarke

op forever. I use it mostly for marking fine cuts. Does it pay to get a rea lly good woodworking knife? If so, any recommendations?

ngle edge razor mounted on a dedicated handle.

ow if I have a metal cutting blade for the band saw but I'm going to check. Could be a fun project.

t two inches cut and then set it aside for now. I'll hack a couple of inche s a day or whenever I can get out there. I really like how Paul Sellers use s a woodworking knife to make perfect saw cuts for dovetails and other cuts . That's what I'm actually after.

I actually did try that. It was really unwieldy but the wheel did do some o f the work. I'm still at it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Gas hacksaw - only way to go!

Actually, if I was doing this (and I doubt I'd cut up a saw, they're more useful as saws) I'd cut it on the shears over at my buddy's place. It's useful having a machinist as a friend.

John

Reply to
John McCoy
[about making a marking knife]

For a short length of hard steel that will hold an edge, you might also consider an old, dull file. If you want to get into it deeper, air-hardening tool steel isn't terribly expensive...

Reply to
whit3rd