Woodworking in Japan

I am planning a trip along the San'in Coast of Japan (north coast of western Honshu) and I want to find woodworkers to visit along the way. Thanks to a recent posting here on the wreck, I now know about Yazawa in Miyazaki and he is definitely on my list but I am looking for others.

I seem to remember a book that was available years ago, back when I lived in Japan, that described crafts (woodworking, textiles, pottery, etc.) and craftsmen by geographic region. Can anyone tell me the title and author of such a book? It does not have to cover all of Japan - a concentration on Kansai, Chugoku or San'in would be preferable but less likely. In any case, any reasonably on-target book or other resource would be good.

Cheers,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Spitz

Larry,

You might contact Palomar College. They have extensive contacts in Japan with woodworkers. In addition, if you have time on your trip consider a trip to taiwan's central western coast to the village of SanYi. Flights from Narita go to Taipei daily and then about 1.5hrs in a car.

Good Luck, J

Joe Bemier