Woodworking gifts received

Gosh, ya never know what yer gonna learn here! I was away for a few days and missed most of the xmas related communications. So, to each of you I extend a belated MC & HNY to you and yours! Mrs. Santa delivered some "gent saws" that I saw on saw at Rockler, so I am looking forward to trying my hand at cutting some dove-tail joints next year (on scrap at first...). : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Apparently they make you pedantic too.

Yes there are the gluten free varieties, if you can find the ingredients.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

GLUTTON free breads, my frozen friend.. GLUTTON..... not frickin' gluten-free... that stuff tastes like sponges look.

Reply to
Robatoy

Apparently you were reading it wrong. ;-) Go for the liposuction attachment.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Sure it does. You still need certain ingredients for a reaction, but you can get variations by changing the quantities or adding other indgredients. If you are making bread, you need leavening, but you can still change other parts of the formula to suit your personal taste.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:09:01 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn scrawled the following:

What worries me is that I just heard Toy say something under his breath about finally finding a way to use his excess sawdust...

-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't expect just any mixture to come out as bread.

Reply to
krw

Should be healthy - fiber in the diet and all...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

So this isn't a place to use saw dust as fiber?

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Of course not. Just as you can't expect just any mixture to come out as wonton soup. But there's a hell of a lot of variation possible, just as in baking.

Butter instead of shortening, or olive oil? Changes the texture and flavour, but it's still bread. Mix white flour with wheat or rye flour? Different texture, but it's still bread. Change the oven temperature and/or humidity? Changes the texture and/or crust, but it's still bread. Bake in a pan as opposed to a stone? Still bread... Change the amount of yeast. or sugar? Still bread... Leaven with yeast or baking powder, or not at all? Still bread...

Etc., etc.

I don't think you actually made a lot of bread with your hands. Maybe just with machines?

The first bread-making machine my wife gave me was a 30" diameter stainless steel bowl. It's seen a LOT of use. I have a bread machine. Picked it up for $20 at a yard sale. Works great. It's in the basement, along with the microwave. They were just taking up counter space.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I did not say "any mixture", I said you still need certain ingredients to get the proper chemical reaction. Baking soda, baking powder, yeast, sugar, salt, buttermilk, shortening, all have a job to do. Keep the proportions in a reasonable ratio and you can change the other ingredients at will. I've been changing recipes for decades. You?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't think krw has ever actually MADE bread.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0--Tom Clancy

I made my first Multi Grain loaf today. There is NO way anybody could gain weight eating that stuff....not with all the flax seed, pulverized barbed-wire and other ultra-fibre componenets.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:32:02 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

How BIG was this cooked pile of flax seed, barbed wire and ultra fibre loaf and how MUCH did you eat? Eventually, most will use it to cook the really tasty stuff and that's where the weight will start to appear.

As I said before, I considered buying one a few years ago. Queried all my friends that had one and got one universal fact. I'm fat enough. With a bread maker, and all that great tasting and smelling bread or pizza dough or whatever, you're going to eat more than you normally would.

Reply to
upscale

------------------------------------------- I made my first Multi Grain loaf today. There is NO way anybody could gain weight eating that stuff....not with all the flax seed, pulverized barbed-wire and other ultra-fibre componenets.

Ye gads, are you sure there isn't some bovine in your genes?

Can't think of a good reason to even taste, much less eat that crap.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just in my groin, sonny.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:56:56 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

My bread machine is in the cupboard and seldom gets used, but I replaced my microwave the very next day when the last one died. I thrive on the use of those things, for rewarming everything under the sun, including the same cup of coffee 4 times when I'm working. Nukers are Manna from Heaven, to be sure!

-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:56:56 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone scrawled the following:

I wonder how much bread is made on the new 36" high countertops which are the style in homes today. They're better for prep work, but not for actual work, like kneading bread dough.

-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:32:02 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

That's quite likely true. I have it under good authority that a piece of multigrain bread, sharpened at the edges and left to dry for 2 days, will work just as well as OddJob's bowler, with nearly all the kinetic energy of same.

That said, my favorite bread is Franz' Oregon Hazelnut, a multigrain bread with nuts. Yuckin' Fummy!

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:11:39 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

There is a whole lot more food energy in good breads than you think. When I'm working hard, especially out in the cold, it shows up a lot more. Wonderbread will -kill- ya. Force some multigrain down your throat and you'll feel warmer and be able to work harder because it's _real_food_, Lew.

Yeah, a lot of multigrain breads are dry. Those made without flour, oil, and wheat gluten are the worst as far as taste and moisture. So go with a conventionally made bread with good ingredients.