Woodworking gifts received

I hope that you stay home now. Good luck in '10

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:37:15 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels" scrawled the following:

You were darned lucky to learn that BEFORE you moved in, huh? Whew!

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Peter Huebner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

My Mum said "I want a power screwdriver that is all mine. Not anyone else's." She's not getting my Makitas, but I found her a nice Panasonic for Christmas.

I'll have to borrow it once to see why it's a favorite brand here. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I found a bin at LOwes with a pile of 4-inch "Vise Grips," albeit Lowes brand and grabbed the three left at $1.98 each. Then, I cut a pattern guide out of some thin material and used it to rout out a hole that just fit the little pliers in three chunks of 3/4-inch Mahogany. Then, I planed down an old (1960 era) piece of "barn wood" that had some nice figuring and routed out a rectangular opening so as to form a cover or top for the tool encapsulating Mahogany base into which I cut a rabbit on all four sides so the bottom section fit nicely into the Barn Wood top. Putting the two pieces together, I trimmed all four sides on the table saw, then sanded and finished the little boxes.

I gave them as gifts to a couple of buddies and to my son-in-law. Nothing great, somewhat of a "gag gift," but fun to make and give. And at a cost that was hardly noticed.

Not so impressive as the umbrella stand - nice piece - but an idea for next year maybe.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I bought a 12v Panasonic for SWMBO (a little slip of a thing) a couple years ago based on recommendations here. I have not regretted it, and more importantly, neither has she. Your Mom will like it, and you might find yourself wondering why you don't have one yourself.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Theeeeen I scored a Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker. I know absolutely diddly-squat 'bout those there breadmachines, but it looks like it could be a hoot.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g26g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

I replace half of the cracked wheat with wheat berriesand it's almost like roggebrood.

Reply to
Han

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:35:31 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Be prepared to put on the weight. They make great bread and pizza dough and stuff, but it's usually in amounts of a pound or two and you'll pack on the weight. That's my only reason for not buying one. I'm fat enough.

Reply to
upscale

I have one of those, it makes great bread, pizza dough etc. Follow the recipes, they say it in there, but the order *really* is important when adding the ingredients.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

They make really good bread. Next year you may need the lipo attachment for your shop vac.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Just a comment but if one doesn't like the look of the bread that comes out of it, one can let the bread machine do all the grunt work and then move the dough to another pan and bake it in the oven.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Absolutely, the loaf does have a funny shape, but let it do all the kneading, rising, kneading, rising, etc. cycles.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Theeeeen I scored a Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker. I know absolutely diddly-squat 'bout those there breadmachines, but it looks like it could be a hoot.

All breadmakers have one major flaw. They all will make you FAT.

Reply to
Leon

Cooking allows for some variation of a recipe, baking follows a formula and does not.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have had both Panasonic and Makita and they are/were my favorites of all the other brands I have owned. You may want to give your Mum the Makita and keep the Panasonic for yourself.

Reply to
Leon

.but, but, but it has recipes for glutton free breads... or am I reading that wrong?

Reply to
Robatoy

Baking requires a very precise chemical reaction. Like other chemical processes, the quantity and order of reactions is important. Baking is essentially chemistry with an edible outcome.

Reply to
krw

I like my Bosch (Impactor and regular). OTOH, I don't like the "broken-stick" screwdrivers at all. We have a Milwaukee at work. No thanks, I'll use a manual screwdriver.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
Evodawg

With bread machines, especially if you're using a timer for a fresh loaf in the morning, the ingredient order is critical. Generally: Water, fat, flour, sugar, salt with the yeast on top.

But if you're just talking about ingredients, you are wrong. Variation of ingredients and amounts in baking is entirely acceptable.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone