WOODEN BANDSAW GUIDE BLOCKS

It is more likely to be sold by the pound. Knife making supply places often have it as do many marinas. The latter is not a good source because it has likely been stored underwater.

You can either buy a bit or screw around with third rate stuff.

Reply to
dadiOH

Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 3:52pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth sayeth: You don't really want 50-60 board feet of lignum vitae: it's for projects like mallets--and bandsaw guides. A waxy, waxy, waxy wood once used for bearings for ship propellors. Rare, endangered, expensive as all get out now.

LOL I doubt seriously anyone would actually send me that much, but it never hurts to ask. Now we bagain from there until we get to an amount he is actually willing to send. Hey, it's a sacrifice for the Woodworking Gods. And, I've been wondering what I would do for bearings on my steamboat drive shaft when it gets that far. And, as long as it's free, it's always popuar wood. LOL

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 8:41pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (skeez) doth offereth: hey JOAT! I got a small pieceof lignum vitie hangin round here someplace. I could lop off a piece big enough for cool blocks if ya want to come pick it up. gonna be in the shop tomorrow. drop a line here and i'll get back to ya. I'm near youngsville though so the gas might cost ya more than its worth! :-}

I just looked at the Atlas. You're not :really: far from me, but I could probably buy a small tree for the gas it would cost me. LMAO If you wanna mail it, I'd be more than willing to cover postage. Best I can do. LOL I wouldn't be able to get that far tomorow anyway. But, thanks for the offer.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 17, 2008, 11:07am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@guesswhere.com (dadiOH) doth sayeth: Lignum vitae. No other can come even close.

So I've heard. But, unless you can prove to me that it grows in NC, I'm not buying any.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 17, 2008, 11:11am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@guesswhere.com (dadiOH) You can either buy a bit or screw around with third rate stuff.

You DID have this in your post: J T wrote: Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 9:03pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) doth recommendeth: I'd recommend lignum vitae, if you have access to some. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0That's not gonna happen - unless someone gives me some. Don't have any in the samples, and I stopped buying any wood except plywood or wood native to NC years back. The only times I work with furrin wood is if it's free to me. Of course, if you want to send me 50 or 60 board feet I'll try it. LOL

You did read it, right? If it doesn't grow in NC, I'm not buying it. The only wood I work with NOT grown in NC is wood I get free. Feel free to send me some, otherwise I'll be sticking with the (in your words) third-rate stuff.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Have you got any persimmon? I could send you some, but it was grown in Georgia, so no use offering.

Snippers

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Gotta watch out for that shaft rub and beaver squeak in naval applications. Seriously!

I was going to provide proof but I googled for those terms and ...um... I gotta go... ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

To practice foreplay, one could assume. ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I have an employee that lives in claytonia! will see if he can get a chunk to ya. try to let ya know tomorrow. yur right bout the gas! lol

skeez

Reply to
skeez

And if you hit Crafts, Woodworking on Ebay you may get the same surprise I got: there is a LOT of it for sale in turning block and small spindle size at semi-rational prices.

Reply to
Charlie Self

And I'd lay odds that two-thirds of it is actually an African blackwood, not genuine lignum vitae.

Still a pretty good choice, dense and hard, but not as self- lubricating as lignum vitae.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Of course a lot of people oil their blades and thus the guides periodically anyway.

Reply to
George

There are different grades of lignum vitae as well. The stuff the local supplier has is from Argentina (all his exotic hardwoods are from Argentina) but it's not the grade used for shaft bearings.

Reply to
J. Clarke

True, but the stress on a bandsaw blade guide is not close to what it is on a prop shaft. Or, if it is, adjustment is in order.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Depends on your boat. Ever seen the bearings on a paddle steamer? Lignum vitae staves too, and a _lot_ of radial force.

If you want to see wooden bearings having a hard time, look at the history of the first Royal Navy destroyers, around 1900 - especially the first turbine-driven ships with ungeared turbines.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Fri, Jan 18, 2008, 2:00pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth gradeth: There are different grades of lignum vitae as well. The stuff the local supplier has is from Argentina (all his exotic hardwoods are from Argentina) but it's not the grade used for shaft bearings.

I'm getting a bit of the finest grade. Free. Heh heh. And the Woodworking Gods have blessed the donor.