Wooden and Fibre Glass Folding Rules

Hi,

I'm doing a study into different tools and am interested as to whether anyone knows why folding rules are produced in two different colours, yellow and white.

If anyone could help with this and any other information regarding these products I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Reply to
turnermatt23

It could be 'cause white don't show up when you drop it in the snow.

DAMHIKT

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

The yellow ones taste like lemon and the white ones are coconut.

The yellow is easier to read under a lot of light> Hi,

Reply to
Mike Berger

'cept if ya have a dawg.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Usually, the white ones are for brickmasons, and are marked for that purpose on one side. That's not to say that there are no white standard folding rules, however.

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

Traditionally, folding rules for carpenters were made of boxwood, with a clear finish. It gives a yellowish appearance. There are less expensive folding rules produced in white (also made of boxwood) and there are rules made in white for masons. The mason's rules, quite naturally, are to be differentiated by their markings, which are pertinent to masonry layout. In a general sense, yellow and clear finished rules are for carpenters (with some exceptions) and white rules are for masons and engineers (also with some exceptions).

Reply to
entfillet

Thanks for all your feedback. :-)

If anyone else has any other thougts please feel free to add.

Thanks.

Reply to
turnermatt23

I've got a few nice aluminum folding rules from my Dad from years ago. I think he once said they were outlawed (by OSHA?) because they were conductive...?

Reply to
– Colonel –