Winter's on it's way- any tips for heating a garage-type shop?

Not compared to Wisconsin! We actually have -80F wind-chill days here...

I thought of that- the ol' "mr. heater" but I had a friend who used that in his garage for smokers, and it did very little good.

I don't know about that- wood stoves are pretty safe, they're just a lot of work to keep filled all the time.

Reply to
Prometheus

I have one 220 outlet, but is it upstairs in the house. I might be able to run a cable, but it would be hanging loose in the air, and I'm not sure that's a real good idea.

Legal here, but I'm not sure I want the hassle. It is a messy option, for sure.

Reply to
Prometheus

I do too... I may check that out as an option in addition to a propane heater.

Reply to
Prometheus

No, if I do that, they stay there! Hauling fiberglass above your head once is plenty! :)

True, but for under $120 I could sheetrock the whole deal and call it good as well- the problem is convincing the wife of that!

Reply to
Prometheus

I think I'll use a 100lb tank anyhow, it's only a $40 deposit here. I suppose the heavy iron problem is one minor advantage to having a lot of starter "benchtop"-type tools.

Luckily, I have a small utility room inside for glue and finishes- I plan on using that for all my finishing work.

Reply to
Prometheus

Now that's a good idea, too... how is the job market in Arizona these days? :)

Reply to
Prometheus

???

That's why I'm stealing all these ideas from you god-like folks. :)

Reply to
Prometheus

Depends upon what you do. Home building is booming around here.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Why does everybody keep writing all of these notes to Charlie? Can't he figure anything out on his own? Seems like a reasonably sharp fellow to me, but everyone keeps sending him all these notes...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Don't know how it is with you cheeseheads, but it's 20F outside, and as I dug the last of the potatoes yesterday, it was snowing lightly. Time to sweep the chimney and get at heating.

My choice would be to heat the air in preference to the equipment - all that cold-soaking talk. Insulate, or at the minimum, isolate from the big space with visqueen or such, and get a high-efficiency wall-mount vented gas unit. You have natural? If not, propane.

This should have a good fan on it, because you want to warm yourself first. The moisture will go out the vent, not into rust on your cool tools, which any other kind of poorly vented or unvented space heat save electricity would do.

This will _not_ help the saltwater situation in the rest of the building if you push too much heat over there.

Reply to
George

Even better is to heat the people, not the air. In a UK winter (barely below freezing at worst) then long-wavelength IR is the stuff to look at. White ceramic electric heater elements, not glowing red ones. It's very efficient and instant heat. I have 500W of it over my bench and that's plenty to keep me happy in a thick shirt and sweater.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

nah... winter here means that you put on a long sleeve shirt to pick oranges in the yard.. *g* (a "cold" morning is in the low 30's)

sorry, should have caught that.. it plugs into a 110 outlet.. takes forever to start putting out heat but works well if left on 24/7 at lower setting..

the Mr. Heater and heater buddy are more for camping.. this is a big ugly thing that clamps on to the handle/ring of a propane tank and is directional..

got this one, the model without the sensor is $20 less...

a few of my neighbors got those $100 ones that look like a mushroom or something and have to huddle around it.. ours throws heat in one direction, but for at least 5 or 6 feet..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

Around here winter is cold enough. Around mid-January when we get a brief few day long break from the sub-zeroes we feel like shirt sleeve weather at single digits. But then again, we define summer as six weeks of terrible snowmobiling.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not to mention you can keep the beef warm on the serving table.

Reply to
George

Oh that is sooooo passe'! It's Cheese Bras now, dontchaknow...

Only snow here is above 10,000 feet.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Let the tools get cold - they don't complain.

I do store my handtools in a heated cupboard though, as an anti-condensation measure.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've got a few years in framing and drywall as a day job, and a couple more putting up small structures on weekends. Might be an option, but I don't know too much about AZ...

Reply to
Prometheus

Similar to here, but I'm hoping for another warm snap or two.

Visqueen? No natural gas, but propane is easily availible.

Reply to
Prometheus

Ah, yes- one of those things that look like a hot-water register. I had one of those, but they just don't do the trick in this application. Too bad, because it seemed to be great on electricity.

Reply to
Prometheus

Try again.

Latent heat is the heat associated with a change of phase. Sensible heat is the the heat associated with a change in temperature.

It takes 10,000 Btus to evaporate a pound of water. It takes 10 btus to raise the temperature of a pound of water 10 degrees F.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Knepper