Any Tips On Pond

We are in the process of making a small pond for coy fist and lillies. Here is a small slide show of it, link below. We are debating weather to cement it or get heave duty plastic. Im tired of plastic and dont really like the black hard plastic. Any tips would be great. Thanks, Judy

gardenlife

will be nor the depth. Your pond appears to be in the open without shade so depending on temperatures in your region it might need to have shade in order to support fish.

So how deep will your pond be and how hot does it get where you live?

I used to be a keen pond keeper so I would be pleased to help you if I can.

Reply to
Vastmasd

Dirt is easier than plastic. Plastic is easier than cement. My

8000-gallon pond has a dirt bottom. A steep edge was built to deter heron from walking into the pond.
Reply to
Phisherman

Perhaps your library get you a copy. Us $ 229

We have had ponds about for awhile. Made out of concrete. One issue we feel is crucial is the pond should have a reasonable slope. This enables ice to ride up and down and not break the structure due to expansion. Our pond is made of about 4 inches think and 3 feet deep.

Have fun!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

While looking about for Whole Earth info on ponds found this.

Contents ? Pond construction - concepts, rules and tips ? Description and sketches to illustrate construction and technology ? Cleaning and maintaining a pond, water analysis ? Substrates, filling materials, stones Contents ? Pond construction - concepts, rules and tips ? Description and sketches to illustrate construction and technology ? Cleaning and maintaining a pond, water analysis ? Substrates, filling materials, stones

Reply to
Bill

is a site maintained by a recent poster by the name of Christian. He does pod maintenance but the site has a number of helpful links.

Christian, if you see this, you may want to provide some way of turning off the audio to your site. I found it irritating after 15 sec. Otherwise, well done:-)

Reply to
Billy