Wind gizmos

I'm looking for plans to make some kind of wind driven gizmo/toy to place around a small pond/lake to hopefully frighten Canadian Honkers away. RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

Rob Mills wrote: : I'm looking for plans to make some kind of wind driven gizmo/toy to place : around a small pond/lake to hopefully frighten Canadian Honkers away.

I hear that there's stuff sold for this called "flash tape", which flutters in the wind, makes noise, and reflects light in different colors. Birds don't get used to it because it doesn't repeat itself. I've also heard that some people have had success by hanging old CDs so that they reflect light. I've never tried this myself; I heard about it on a gardening program I listen to.

Bird Scare Flash Tape:

(for example, probably available elsewhere as well)

You Bet Your Garden radio show:

luck,

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

Friend of mine tried the CDs. The birds perched on them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Doug Miller

i think for the CDs you must use heavy metal punk rock or better yet rap cds. ross otherwise try putting out a big plastic owl.

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

Thanks all!

The CD bit is interesting but honkers are brave, they will look you eye ball to eye ball and dare you. I was thinking of a weather vain type gizmo with a noise making propeller. Was more concerned about how to make a prop hub, the rest should be simple. The reflective tape on the prop blades might be interesting, it's cheap enough.

Thanks for the ideas, RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

Far better than guard dogs, guard geese.

You just have to be careful where you walk.

One spring, the boat yard cat (think junk yard dog type) got a little too close to a goose and her goslings down by the river.

By the time mama goose got done with that cat, a 12 gauge provided a merciful end.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

This is probably best idea, just play some heavy metal through a 100 watt amp. I do have some plastic owls and they do slow down the bird traffic on my back porch. We also have a pair of trumpeter swans. The swans chase the geese until they are worn out then go take a nap. : (

Reply to
Rob Mills

Swans are even meaner. Supposedly if geese see a swan in a pond, they look for another pond. I have seen plastic swans floating in pond on golf courses, with no geese insight.

Dunno how long you can keep them fooled.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Then you have to use a much stronger wire to hang them.

A single copy of Celine Dijon[sic] will suffice.

Reply to
Robatoy