Why isn't there a SCMS that can accept a dado blade?

This might be a stupid question but I've always wondered why somebody doesn't put out a SCMS that you could put a dado set onto? Would it be to dangerous or underpowered or what? Seeing as the SCMS is so popular nowadays and the radial arm isn't, it would be a nice feature. I usually use a router to put dados in long narrow boards but I think the miter saw would be a nice alternative especially for a series of repetitive cuts.

Reply to
BeerBoy

Well one idea is that a SCMS pivots in back. You won't get a level dado.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

seems they could add a 'dado lock' to insure level. . .at least as good as a RAS.

Reply to
SwampBug

Reply to
Preston Andreas

They got 'em.

But they call them RAS.

Now that I'm done being a smart ass - I got rid of my RAS in favor of the SCMS almost ten years ago. I too missed the ability to use a dado head, especially when making things like dentil molding.

Now I make my dado cuts on the table saw and then rip the piece down into strips.

Regards, Tom. Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

How? Geometry does not work. Chit. Some pivot on slider rail. Guess it could. Damn I hate that.

Guess it could. Please ignore previous response.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

What do you mean? I normally just cut with the regular blade but then pull the wood left and right really hard while I'm cutting.

That does the same thing as a dado blade.

Reply to
David Binkowski