WHite oak boards split at end

x-no-archive:yes

As I have mentioned, I have some kiln dired wough cut lumber from a flooring manufacturer. I sotred the boards on concrete blocks in a little crawl space area nect to my garage, It is under my dryer vent hose area. (Which leaks a little). I looked under there today and I noticed the ends of mose boards are splitting. They may have been like this when I got them I dont know. They are only an inch or two down the length of the board. Are these boards still good or will they continue to split even after I build something out of them and stain them?

Reply to
stryped

Don't get them wet. They may or may not continue to split. I'd store kiln-dried wood in a dry location, not in a high-humid location.

Reply to
Phisherman

You have to be carefwul with that wough lumber, it can be twicky stuff.

Hahahahha......

-- Elmer

Reply to
Elmer

Silly wabbit!

Reply to
stoutman

Reply to
stryped

Stryped spoketh:

Can you say TROLL ??

Reply to
stoutman

Oh, Goodness.... Do I have a reply that I will keep to my self.

Reply to
Rich

White oak splits along the rays pretty easily. You've got it somewhere dryer than where it was, apparently, and have either reopened or begun new checks.

Store wood where you intend on using it. Oak with checks that stay closed only in the damp is "art," to be looked at, not wood to be used.

Reply to
George

Would that be a very high humidity location? Possibly dark and smelly, with a year-round ambient temperature of 98.6F?

Reply to
Ba r r y

Indoors -- d'oh!

Reply to