Which Is Witch - A Halloween Wood Identification Quiz - Five Pix on ABPW

Considering that sunlight (especially UV) is a big part of the process, that's not surprising. :-) Here in the desert you get a pronounced color change in a couple of days if you leave an unfinished piece out in the sunlight.

--RC

Is UK cherry the same

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Never get your philosophy from some guy who ended up in the looney bin. -- Wiz Zumwalt

Reply to
rcook5

But that doesn't address the original issue of could you tell cherry from poplar. I could paint 'em both and they would be indistinguishable as well. I would be much more interested in cherry more natural (eg. oil or the sort) and then trying to get poplar to look like it. *That* would be the real test.

I have spent a fair bit of time looking at furniture. I have not yet seen -- in person -- a single example of a stained non-cherry that looked like unstained cherry. Now some of those stained pieces looked fantastic; this is not a value judgment. Not to mention, cherry is not the right choice by any means for everything. But I would love to see a piece *in person* that faked it well because cherry well finished is very beautiful and damn expensive; I certainly can't afford a lot of it.

It was an interesting experiment but wood, especially with a glossy finish, is very difficult to photograph and get results which a clear enough to clearly identify wood.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I've seen sunlight ! 1976 ! and again in 1984 !

It's not as if I lived in _Manchester_

Reply to
Andy Dingley

STAIN - Matching poplar to raw cherry before applying toner.

Transtint Dyes 1/1 med brown/red brown in alcohol.

A copy of my notebook reference.

You might want to try it out.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:45:02 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC calmly ranted:

Grain too even. I thought 2 and 3 were the poplar and couldn't tell the cherry solid from the ply.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:32:45 -0500, Tom Watson calmly ranted:

Ain't no effin' way the 230 y/o desk was that pale/red unless the thing never EVER saw the light of day in all that time. No fresh cherry I've ever seen has been that red, only stains. Did they actually have the gall to stain cherry back then? It's unnatural!

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

a little homework, Bubba.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:59:56 -0500, Tom Watson calmly ranted:

You'll have to do better than that. (I didn't save the source file.) Whose desk? Point it out in the reference, please. Then I'll do the homework, Teach.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what you say *now*.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC