Which finish for workbench ?

I just got a workbench from Home Depot. The bench is solid wood. It might get pretty humid where I live. What kind of finish can you guys recommend for moisture protection? BTW I'll be doing mostly metalwork on my bench.

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

The best finish for benches is an oil, just because it's easy to continually refinish as they wear. There's o such thing as a "finish for life" on a benchtop.

Masonite, shiny side up. Hold it down with a few stips of DS tape. Replace every year or two.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Do Home Depot or Lowes sell Masonite?

Thanks, Alex

Andy D>

Reply to
Alex

Yes, of course. Sorry, I thought this was a well-known tradename in the USA. Here in the UK we generally call it "hardboard".

It's the thin man-made board that has been around since the '30s. One side is very hard and shiny, the other side has a chain-link pattern pressed into it from the machien that makes it. The better grade is "oil tempered" and is a bit more water resistant. Dirt cheap, good surface hardness and liquid resistance, no strength at all unless supported underneath.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't think the Masonite company sells the plain stock anymore. Tempered hardboard should be available almost anywhere now, though, as a commodity product.

The Masonite folk sell interior doors and such, though.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch