Where to find S4S Hardwoods?

Hello everyone,

I am planning a one-time project that will use Spanish Cedar, which so far I can only obtain rough-cut, or S2S for an additional 15 cents/bf. FWIW, the raw stock available is 4/4 in widths 6 - 8" and 10 - 12 foot lenghts. The finished dimensions of the pieces I'll need are:

widths of 2 - 4" thickness around 7/8" lengths of 12 - 24"

I rarely work with hardwoods, and since this is a one time project, I don't want to buy a jointer/planer, and even if I did, I'm not skilled in the use of these tools.

Ideally, I would like to simply buy S4S. I have some flexibility in the thickness, and I have a table saw so ripping to the correct width is not a problem. The problem is finding a source, preferably local (Dallas area) but I'm willing to go online. Everything I've found so far is S2S. Surely I'm not the first person in this situation. What does everyone do?

My best idea so far is to get the S2S stock, and joint it (is that the correct term ?) on the table saw or radial arm saw using the long fence set-up that has previously been discussed here. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

I'm a little confused by your post. Doesn't S2S normally mean that the two flat surfaces are planed smooth (relatively, anyway), and the edges are left rough? If that's the case, then just cut the rough edge off in your table saw. I don't understand why you need smooth edges if you're gonna cut to width anyway.

--Steve

tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Have you asked? I buy hardwood or specialty wood from three suppliers, and every one of them will make exactly what I want. Some include planing in the price, others charge extra.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It really depends on the lumber yard. S2S stands for "surfaced two sides". At the place I purchase my lumber S2S means one face and one edge is jointed. I've dealt with other dealers where S2S one face is jointed and then the board is planed to thickness.

Nova

Yes, that's my understanding of S2S. It's also my understanding from reading some old threads here that the rough edges may not be straight enough to give you good results when placed against the table saw fence. If the rough cut board is curved, then the table saw will duplicate the curve on the now smooth side. You have to use one of those "board straigntener" jigs or a fence extension that is as long as the board in question.

I guess it depends on how "rough" the edge is.

Anyway, I have found another hardwood store in Dallas that will sell S2S as described, so I'm on my way.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

The local BORGs sell ROak and Poplar S4S.

It look's nice but, it's way overpriced, big surprise huh?

S3S (both sides and one edge) may be easier to find and work just as well, since it most cases you'll need to cut to the needed width, anyways.

The local Rockler usually has S3S ROak for $3.00/bf, maple was $4.00, Poplar was also around $3.00 (or a bit less).

I've also purchased wood online and for a bit extra they'll usually joint one or both edges.

HTH

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Since you are near Dallas, You might try Curly Woods in Mckinney. Last month I saw he had some Spanish Cedar S2S (surfaced 2 sides which is S2S)-- The store is located just South of 380 on Tennesee st. He is listed on the web. Do a Google on Curly woods. Also, he has a jointer so I imagine he would joint one edge for you for a nominal price. Another method would be to tack a straight board to one side & cut the other on the TS. PH

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

Ron wrote in news:j snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I was at the Woodcraft in Austin today and started to buy a 4/4 White Oak board for a small case I am building and they wanted $7.50/bf for it. I nearly fell over. I went to another place in town (Fine Lumber & Plywood Inc.) and found some really nice Quarter Sawn White Oak for $4.94/bf.

Reply to
Michael Burton